% of white college students fell, % o...

% of white college students fell, % of black college students increased

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#1 May 1, 2012
The percentage of college students who are Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander, and Black has been increasing.

From 1976 to 2009, the percentage of Hispanic students rose from 3 percent to 12 percent

the percentage of Asian/Pacific Islander students rose from 2 percent to 7 percent,

and the percentage of Black students rose from 9 percent to 14 percent. During the same period,

the percentage of White students fell from 83 percent to 62 percent.

SOURCE; national statistics for educational statistics
Wilma

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 May 1, 2012
But blacks aren't graduating college are they.

"Fifty-seven percent of all students who enroll in four-year, nonprofit colleges earn diplomas within six years, but the graduation rates for different groups of students vary vastly. On average, 60 percent of white students who start college have earned bachelor's degrees six years later. But only 49 percent of Hispanic students and 40 percent of black students do."

http://chronicle.com/article/Reports-Highligh...

Location hidden

#3 May 1, 2012
I know that already.

Maybe hardships, who knows.

But I commend them for at least trying

Ima ride for Blk youth till I die, everybody always talk so negative about them.

White ppl are financially better off so...
Wilma

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 May 1, 2012
Degrees earned by level/race 1990-2009

Associates degree
Whites..67%
Blacks...13%

Bachelor's degree
Whites...72%
Blacks...10%

Master's
White...65%
Black...11%

Doctoral
White...59%
Black...7%

First professional degree
Whites...71%
Blacks...7%

UMmmm.....Blacks don't look like they did to well.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/t...
Coon Hunter

United States

#5 May 1, 2012
Good. That means we can do away with affirmative action for college admissions.
Wilma

Colorado Springs, CO

#6 May 1, 2012
aZiya wrote:
I know that already.
Maybe hardships, who knows.
But I commend them for at least trying
Ima ride for Blk youth till I die, everybody always talk so negative about them.
White ppl are financially better off so...
Maybe whites are having hardships in this economy too. Maybe that is accounting for the drop in their college enrollment. Did you consider that?
Seems you want to dismiss that possibility and the fact that whites are graduating at a much higher rate than blacks.
Seems you have a bias towards whites.
That's not nice.
Wilma

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 May 1, 2012
You seem interested in college attendence by race so I thought you might like this.

"Young black men are not attending, or graduating from, college at the same rate as black women. Although their absence is more apparent at historically black colleges and universities, or HBCUs, black male students are scarce at colleges everywhere.

The national college graduation rate for black men is 33.1 percent compared with 44.8 percent for black women, according to the U.S. Department of Education. The total graduation rate is 57.3 percent. Black men represent 7.9 percent of 18-to-24-year-olds in America but only 2.8 percent of undergraduates at public flagship universities."
aZiya wrote:
The percentage of college students who are Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander, and Black has been increasing.
From 1976 to 2009, the percentage of Hispanic students rose from 3 percent to 12 percent
the percentage of Asian/Pacific Islander students rose from 2 percent to 7 percent,
and the percentage of Black students rose from 9 percent to 14 percent. During the same period,
the percentage of White students fell from 83 percent to 62 percent.
SOURCE; national statistics for educational statistics
Wilma

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 May 1, 2012
Where did aZiya run off to?

Thought she wanted to discuss white vs black college attendance/graduation rates.

Location hidden

#9 May 1, 2012
Wilma wrote:
Where did aZiya run off to?
Thought she wanted to discuss white vs black college attendance/graduation rates.
I ran off to my life, I do have other things to do besides sit on topix.

Now, you're not saying anything that I haven't already read or heard. My point is Blk students are attending college more and more, and Blk kids need to hear more positive things about themselves instead of negative.
Which is exactly what you came hear and did

Smh

Their attendance has increeased, can we be happy that they are applying and going to college. And in the future their graduation rates will increase too. Stop being so negative and anti black

It's a fact that their percentage increased and whites decreased, I didn't say anything false

So now you wanna come in hear and talk bad like your feelings got hurt.

Well I would like to say to them good job, and hold your head up against the odds and you'll make it just be strong.

And to Wilma I'd like to say you're a miserable person and Fk you

White ppl had a 400 yr head start they should not be slipping

Location hidden

#10 May 1, 2012
Coon Hunter wrote:
Good. That means we can do away with affirmative action for college admissions.
I thought they already did.

Location hidden

#11 May 1, 2012
Wilma wrote:
Associates degree
Whites..67%
Blacks...13%
Bachelor's degree
Whites...72%
Blacks...10%
Master's
White...65%
Black...11%
Doctoral
White...59%
Black...7%
Whites...71%
Blacks...7%
Umm seems about right according to population percentage dummy

Location hidden

#12 May 1, 2012
Wilma wrote:
You seem interested in college attendence by race so I thought you might like this.
"Young black men are not attending, or graduating from, college at the same rate as black women. Although their absence is more apparent at historically black colleges and universities, or HBCUs, black male students are scarce at colleges everywhere.
The national college graduation rate for black men is 33.1 percent compared with 44.8 percent for black women, according to the U.S. Department of Education. The total graduation rate is 57.3 percent. Black men represent 7.9 percent of 18-to-24-year-olds in America but only 2.8 percent of undergraduates at public flagship universities."
<quoted text>
Fact: A HIGHER percentage of black men attend college than white men.
..this is from the 2009 census...
# of white men in America - 121,235,723
# of white men attending college - 5,709,000
so...about 4.7% of the total white male population was enrolled in college in 2009
# of White women in America - 123,062,670
# Attending college - 7,116,000
so...5.7% were enrolled in college.
Black male population - 18,936,151
# enrolled in college - 1,058,000
this comes out to about 5.5%
Black female population - 20,704,909
# enrolled in college - 1,831,000
or...8.8% in college
so...black men seem to attend college at a higher rate than white men...and black women at a higher rate than all of the above mentioned...
TheOriginalDoby

Elk Grove, CA

#13 May 1, 2012
Wilma wrote:
Associates degree
Whites..67%
Blacks...13%
Bachelor's degree
Whites...72%
Blacks...10%
Master's
White...65%
Black...11%
Doctoral
White...59%
Black...7%
Whites...71%
Blacks...7%
Are you fkin retarded? The numbers reflected are a percentage of the degrees earned, not the graduation rate you dumbazz.
TheOriginalDoby

Elk Grove, CA

#14 May 1, 2012
aZiya wrote:
<quoted text>Umm seems about right according to population percentage dummy
Exactly!!

“I Love My Life!”

Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#15 May 1, 2012
aZiya wrote:
<quoted text>I ran off to my life, I do have other things to do besides sit on topix.

Now, you're not saying anything that I haven't already read or heard. My point is Blk students are attending college more and more, and Blk kids need to hear more positive things about themselves instead of negative.
Which is exactly what you came hear and did

Smh

Their attendance has increeased, can we be happy that they are applying and going to college. And in the future their graduation rates will increase too. Stop being so negative and anti black

It's a fact that their percentage increased and whites decreased, I didn't say anything false

So now you wanna come in hear and talk bad like your feelings got hurt.

Well I would like to say to them good job, and hold your head up against the odds and you'll make it just be strong.

And to Wilma I'd like to say you're a miserable person and Fk you

White ppl had a 400 yr head start they should not be slipping
Thank you for that. Praise is needed. My husband and I have had the same conversations with both our sons. My oldest is finishing his first year in a few weeks. He has done great. His goal is to finish early by taking classes at the city college while home during his breaks. I am so proud of him and all of his black male friends in college. They are expected to be up to no good, when in fact BM have more obstacles than most. I am a BW, and I know this. I know how others view black men, and it is a fcking shame!!!! Good the hear the numbers are moving up! Warms my heart for sure!!

Location hidden

#16 May 1, 2012
Married with children wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for that. Praise is needed. My husband and I have had the same conversations with both our sons. My oldest is finishing his first year in a few weeks. He has done great. His goal is to finish early by taking classes at the city college while home during his breaks. I am so proud of him and all of his black male friends in college. They are expected to be up to no good, when in fact BM have more obstacles than most. I am a BW, and I know this. I know how others view black men, and it is a fcking shame!!!! Good the hear the numbers are moving up! Warms my heart for sure!!
Thank you because it seems like nobody cares unless it's negative, then they do a bee line to make sure everybody knows. It is a shame. Blk ppl are so use to hearing negative information about themselves
I'm happy for you and your family and I'm proud of your son too, and all the Blk students doing good or strugling to stay in school.

Location hidden

#17 May 1, 2012
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!!
Smh
If it was an increase in drive bus they would break their neck to tell the world, or even if the percentage of Blk college students decreased they would sprain their ankles trying to run and tell somebody.

Location hidden

#18 May 1, 2012
aZiya wrote:
<quoted text>Smh
If it was an increase in drive bus they would break their neck to tell the world, or even if the percentage of Blk college students decreased they would sprain their ankles trying to run and tell somebody.
I meant drive by's

“I Love My Life!”

Level 6

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#19 May 1, 2012
aZiya wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you because it seems like nobody cares unless it's negative, then they do a bee line to make sure everybody knows. It is a shame. Blk ppl are so use to hearing negative information about themselves
I'm happy for you and your family and I'm proud of your son too, and all the Blk students doing good or strugling to stay in school.
Thank you and you are so right! There are so many positive things to say about black people and of course most chose to ignore and talk about negative stereotypes. I refuse. When I see a successful black person, I am proud! Btw. My son has a few college room mates. They are black males. Very smart kids! Promising futures. A few come from not so wonderful backgrounds, and are doing well!!!

Level 2

Since: May 12

Cincinnati, OH

#20 May 1, 2012
TheOriginalDoby wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you fkin retarded? The numbers reflected are a percentage of the degrees earned, not the graduation rate you dumbazz.
graduate from college you earn a degree, there one in the same. So for dumb people like yourself the rate of degrees earned and the college graduation rates would be the same. After all people usually go to college to earn a degree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Volatility Index 1,276,661
my local news this morning 17 min where's coretta ?? 8
News 74% of African-American children poverty strick... 17 min Linda 3
Harris County Deputy Murdered 18 min Ben YISRAEL 89
Egyptians in Egypt 26 min lmao 492
News UM hosts last listening session for chancellor ... 28 min Um grad 8
White men are better lovers? 32 min Disco inferno 509
Who is selina london? 1 hr selina london 66
REPARATIONS: They Will Be Paid Sooner Or Later (Jan '15) 5 hr genetics 1,074
Black ppl are attending college at higher rates... 6 hr ohReally 43
More from around the web