Why do Ethiopians call Black People ....

Why do Ethiopians call Black People ..."BAR-e-YA"?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Tyrone

Seattle, WA

#1 Apr 18, 2009
I met alot of Ethiopians and when they talk that funny language of theirs. I always hear a word pronounced "BAR-e-YA". I asked one of my ethiopian friends what its meant. She told me, "It means slave or black". Basically in Ethiopian language, she spelled it like this "Baria",, Baria = Black = Slave!

So to Ethiopians a Slave is Black and BLack is Slave.

I find that very offensive and I told her that,but she said "Most Ethiopians look down on Black Americans because 1. They are Black 2. They are Slaves".

Since: Apr 09

Wilmington, DE

#2 Apr 18, 2009
ethiopians are black and they need to stop trying to deny that sh*t.

“My Shining Star”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#3 Apr 18, 2009
Lover not a fighter 0525 wrote:
ethiopians are black and they need to stop trying to deny that sh*t.
LOLOLOL

"Baria" is a Spanish or Italian word for poor people anyways.. lol.
zion

Woodbridge, VA

#4 Apr 18, 2009
we do not use the word anymore. it doesn't matter if you were black or whit, if your ancestor were enslaved ..we used the word Baria.
1. the reason we look down on you is not because you are black
2. you were slave not anymore....
I am black myself so i cant call anyone baria because she /he is black.
Tyrone

Seattle, WA

#7 Apr 18, 2009
zion wrote:
we do not use the word anymore. it doesn't matter if you were black or whit, if your ancestor were enslaved ..we used the word Baria.
1. the reason we look down on you is not because you are black
2. you were slave not anymore....
I am black myself so i cant call anyone baria because she /he is black.
Dude you can't lie to me. I hangout with enough Ethiopians to hear that word thrown around like its nothing.

1. So what is the reason you look down on us Black Americans?

I know I'm not a slave but it still doesn't seem to stop you Ethiopians from calling us "Baria"!

Burbank, CA

#8 Apr 18, 2009
The Nomad wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever, black isn't a legit classification, they aren't negro.
Fact.
Only white supremacist use the term "Negro" LMAO.

"Wonders why to people who hate exslaves come on to a forum called African American" LMAO ROTFL

Halifax, Canada

#9 Apr 18, 2009
Bariya doesnt mean 'black' nor is it a term used for AAs- it means slave and it can be applied to anyone, especially other Ethiopians. This term existed way before Ethiopians came to the west: it was historically the name of a certain Sudanic tribe, which along with other northern tribes were made into servants. Over time the term came to be associated with servitude and their features, just as dark skin in the AA community has been viewed negatively.
Tyrone

Seattle, WA

#10 Apr 18, 2009
Hanie wrote:
Bariya doesnt mean 'black' nor is it a term used for AAs- it means slave and it can be applied to anyone, especially other Ethiopians. This term existed way before Ethiopians came to the west: it was historically the name of a certain Sudanic tribe, which along with other northern tribes were made into servants. Over time the term came to be associated with servitude and their features, just as dark skin in the AA community has been viewed negatively.
I was told by my ethiopian female friend that "baria" means "darkskinned, black". She broke it down to me. She said "I am kay-he(red/lightskinned) and you are Baria (darkskinn/black)"

She also told me "Baria is used to call someone a slave". I ask how come "kay-he (red/lightskin) is not used for Slave".

She also told me about the origin of the word "Baria", like you said it was a tribe from the SUdan who were BLACK(literally) and they were enslaved by her people and their name was "Baria". The word "Baria" was taking from their name to denote "Black and Slave"! So it is a word that is used as a racial slur in ethiopian society!

You can't lie to me.

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#11 Apr 18, 2009
Lover not a fighter 0525 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only white supremacist use the term "Negro" LMAO.
"Wonders why to people who hate exslaves come on to a forum called African American" LMAO ROTFL
LOLOLOL

I told its orangutan azz the same thing in the other thread..

"old habits do often die hard"

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#12 Apr 18, 2009
Hanie wrote:
Okay.. actually in the pink community first.. lol.

The disease spread to some African Americans and Blacks worldwide as an epidemic..

Again, LOL.

Level 2

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#13 Apr 18, 2009
BARIA DOESN”T MEAN BLACK but SERVANT/SLAVE. Slavery was very common in Ethiopia especially in 17th and 18th. However in was domestic. Anybody from any tribe can be BARIYA if they work for you. Slaves were regarded as second-class members. However they were fed, clothed and protected. The servants/slaves weren’t forced to work or anything like that. They voluntarily ask to work for a middle or high class family. Things like these are common all over Africa. It has nothing to do with being black.
How come u are not registered?????????

Halifax, Canada

#15 Apr 18, 2009
So far 3 Ethiopians have said your friend was wrong, who is more reliable? You do the math.

I gave you the benefit of a doubt at first, but now you are starting to sound like a broken record. FACT: in our language black = tiqur, bariya = slave. I already told you bariya is used as a slur, but some ppl also use it casually, like the n-word in your AA community.

BOTTOM LINE: when your friend lies to you and calls you a slave, maybe its time to re-evaluate your relationship.

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#16 Apr 18, 2009
BOTTOM LINE: This thread is not conducive to African American understanding. Let it die.

Black people, I love you all!!!
zion

Woodbridge, VA

#17 Apr 18, 2009
Princess Lovable S wrote:
BOTTOM LINE: This thread is not conducive to African American understanding. Let it die.
Black people, I love you all!!!
you are right, we should stop here since many people don't know what we are talking about.

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#18 Apr 18, 2009
zion wrote:
<quoted text>
you are right, we should stop here since many people don't know what we are talking about.
That is a good thing. Peace and love to you, my East African or Black friend..

"Making Trolls Go Insane Everyday"

Burbank, CA

#19 Apr 18, 2009
I don't care about them Ethiopians man, they don't want to be black anyway, they kiss the white man's ass 24-7.
Tyrone

Seattle, WA

#20 Apr 18, 2009
We have some Denying a$$ Ethiopians on this forum. What you Ethiopians trying to cover up?

You know damn well when you call someone a "baria" who is clearly not a "baria", you mean to call them "Black/Slave" in a slur way, its the equivalent of the N-word!

N-word doesn't necesarrily mean "slave nor black" but it was directed at people who were Black and who were Slaves!

Now white people call black people the N-word as a Racial slur, the sameway you Ethiopians call us Black people, Baria! Give me a break, you all are fake!

I dont need to be registered to make a point. The point is valid in of itself. Hanie, your are lying. Slavery is NOT VOLUNTARY, what kind of reasoning would someone give to giveup their freedom? I think its illogical and quite stupid for you to try to claim that Slavery in Ethiopia, was by choice of the enslaved!

You are pissing me off, you fake a$$ whiteloving Ethiopian bxtch!
Tyrone

Seattle, WA

#21 Apr 18, 2009
zion wrote:
<quoted text>
No we shouldn't stop here. Infact, we need to go further and see how far you Ethiopains will cover up your racism towards Black Africans!

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#22 Apr 19, 2009
Tyrone wrote:
<quoted text>
No we shouldn't stop here. Infact, we need to go further and see how far you Ethiopains will cover up your racism towards Black Africans!
I am having my morning laugh :))

My Somali friends say that NOBODY in Africa likes Ethiopians, and they wish the whole country will break off in the ocean and maybe the Yemeni save them from dying as they always have..

She say that Yemen and a few European nations have always protected and fed Ethiopia for centuries, so now they feel 'white'.

They sent chocolates and steaks from Switzerland and Germany while African Americans only dropped grain on the ground (horse * from the American 'whites'), right?

This is what people think of it... real talk, but I don't think it's right.

Inshallah.

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#23 Apr 19, 2009
****** time for a commercial break. enjoy.*******

&fe ature=related

"ONE UNIFIED BLACK NATION"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melanin: Closed source vs. Open source 1 min Ben 8
GUESS the black topix poster! 2 min Ben 22
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,522,877
IRBW And Their Fantasies. 8 min Ben 854
Race is a social construct part 2 11 min Keepin It Real 8
Former basketball star Charles Barker says blac... (Oct '10) 14 min Justsaying 5
Poll Do Black Women find Puerto Rican Men sexy? (May '10) 20 min Loreno 220
Why did Jesus allow Satan to create Negroes? 48 min Israelite Suprema... 22
SMARTEST POSTERS on TOPIX 1 hr NotSoDivineMsM 23
Rachel Maddow ~ Beating FOX News !! 3 hr JRT 26
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 4 hr sin 1,494
More from around the web