How Mixed Are African Americans?
carribean blue

Johannesburg, South Africa

#62 Feb 12, 2013
jay wrote:
obviously many african americans have significant white ancestry. all you have to do is look at sub saharan africans and you will see most are jet black and many also dark brown but hardly any are medium brown or lighter like many african americans are.
if sub saharan africans in africa could naturally be medium brown or lighter then african americans been medium brown or lighter wudnt mean they necessarily have non black dna but we know in sub sahara africa thats not the case so jus knowledgable people wud knw this alredy without having this data to confirm it.
true.west and central africans are jet black.i seen some nigerians who have bleached their skin.even men.i can only speak for the bantus in south africa.they are mostly light skin due to their khoi ancestry

“No Substitute For The Truth”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

United States

#63 Feb 12, 2013
Samuel wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this mean?
Afro Mexicans are 100% the result of the native Mexican population mixing with Africans slaves brought into Mexico by the Spanish in very recent history.
"Native" Mexican people do not have any African ancestry whatsoever, those that do are descended from African slaves. Similarly, a huge portion of the Mexican population has white Spanish ancestry. This has nothing to do with European DNA being indigenous to the native population but rather the result of it being introduced entirely by the Spanish no more than 4 or 5 hundred years ago.
Africans were never in Mexico prior to the Spanish invasion.
Mexicans most def have African Ancestry. Depending on region, the % increases. There are no PURE Mexicans. And there is a Y-DNA marker in The Mexican Population.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9341867/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8935320

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#66 Feb 12, 2013
AAs are the only blacks always harping on purity and questioning the purity of the rest of mankind.
Ironic!
Sporadic

United States

#67 Feb 14, 2013
I'm AA and haven't took a DNA test yet however, I signed up for Ancestry.com free trial and researched my families lineage. &#65279;The results were shocking, I found out that my great great Grandfather was a Mulatto from VA that fought in world war 1 and according to &#65279;the 1920 census my great great grandmothers race was marked caucasian, white. On &#65279;the bright side, I traced my grandmothers father side back to &#65279;the Gullah people of st. Helena, low country south Carolina. I was able to view &#65279;the 1870 census and traced my lineage all the way to my great great great great grandmother whom was born in SC in 1799. &#65279;The results were very enlightening.
Sporadic

United States

#68 Feb 14, 2013
Excuse the random "&#679" in my posts, I'm posting from my phone.
Panther

Gravesend, UK

#69 Feb 14, 2013
I've seen plenty of West and Southern Africans and know they do not look that much different to African Americans. People are making assumptions on what they show on the discovery channel, get out there and see REAL people.
Panther

Gravesend, UK

#70 Feb 14, 2013
jay wrote:
obviously many african americans have significant white ancestry. all you have to do is look at sub saharan africans and you will see most are jet black and many also dark brown but hardly any are medium brown or lighter like many african americans are.
if sub saharan africans in africa could naturally be medium brown or lighter then african americans been medium brown or lighter wudnt mean they necessarily have non black dna but we know in sub sahara africa thats not the case so jus knowledgable people wud knw this alredy without having this data to confirm it.
according to who? remind me when was the last time you visited africa and came up with this distinction? because I can name countless west africans that are not "jet black". not to say there is anything wrong with being jet black though, the blacker the berry the deeper the roots. so take your ignorant foolish self somewhere else.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

ATL

#71 Feb 14, 2013
Redefined wrote:
Remember PPL claimed Mexicans had no African Ancestry which is a LIE since you have Afro-Mexicans.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images...
http://www.frenchcreoles.com/afromex02.jpg
They just crowned a afro mexican queen of something down their. They had the african symbol behind her back. I think the news is spreading about african ancestry now, but certain places its just obvious its their.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#73 Feb 14, 2013
I work with all types of africans, they are very diverse, but african amerians I guess look somewhat watered down, but still have strong african features, some of us dont though, and they can be any complexion and have strong european features, or asian/native american.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#74 Feb 14, 2013
MumRa wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't speaking about you directly. But I have noticed that when most Blacks talk about their DNA. It is in regards to proven how little Black they are or how white they are.
Im very black, and proud. I like science, so thats all that is to me. I will laugh in their face. I knew this silly woman with blue contacts, talking about she had indian in her, and she tried to convince me her natural eye color was blue lol. She darker than whoopi, and her nose was very wide, full lips.

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#75 Feb 14, 2013
DreRob wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.. Did the 23&me test break down your african ancestry. I'm considering african ancestry and heard they have a large data base which could link one to distant relatives, identify african tribes of orgin and non-african heritage. It's interesting but i don't really care to much about the non-african heritage, i'm more interested in the african tribes we descend from. Would you recomend 23&me.
NOPE! I was pissed off about it. It only showed % of my european ancestry, which was irish/english. The irish was treated bad here, and somewhat enslaved, definately indentured servants here.
BMT

Eskilstuna, Sweden

#76 Feb 14, 2013
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
I did 23&me test
So were your results?

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#77 Feb 14, 2013
obamahamza08 wrote:
<quoted text>
A MINORIT OF AA's are mixed with whitey slave cracker
not all aa's are mixed
some africans are light skinned but they are not mixed
like some aa's are light skinned with no mix with crackas
Thats not true. You cant look at people and tell a admixture all the time. A admixture, and behing multigenerationally mixed, or biracial, are different ways to being mixed, with multigenerational, and being directly mixed, is almost the same thing, but both parents are of color with a multi-generational mix. Everyone is not going to show a 12.5, or a 20% admxiture in the same way, or it may not show strong, or at all. When I see many carribeans, I can tell a difference too, but more so with africans. To me, many AA's look like a cross between hatians and dominicans, and I have seen some of them before.

“It really don't matter”

Level 4

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#78 Feb 14, 2013
Another Mixed thread? They cracckkaa says the Average AA is Blaahhh~Zay~Blahhh but how many AA's do you know on the reg. go get tested for these things?
Bigsmoke

Wakefield, UK

#79 Feb 14, 2013
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
<quoted text>Im very black, and proud. I like science, so thats all that is to me. I will laugh in their face. I knew this silly woman with blue contacts, talking about she had indian in her, and she tried to convince me her natural eye color was blue lol. She darker than whoopi, and her nose was very wide, full lips.
Well you never really know.

The most stereotypically central-west African looking ''African American'' could be over 50% European. It can happen.
Bigsmoke

Wakefield, UK

#80 Feb 14, 2013
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
<quoted text>NOPE! I was pissed off about it. It only showed % of my european ancestry, which was irish/english. The irish was treated bad here, and somewhat enslaved, definately indentured servants here.
You should visit Ireland one day, nice place.

Some English were treated bad too and some Irish were slave owners too. You'd never know.

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#81 Feb 14, 2013
BROWNMAN20 wrote:
<quoted text>NOPE! I was pissed off about it. It only showed % of my european ancestry, which was irish/english. The irish was treated bad here, and somewhat enslaved, definately indentured servants here.
the irish was treated bad here
you are proud to be mixed or what ?
THAT's our problems black folks we want always to be mixed with devils and we hate our original blood
Black Deal

Lockhart, TX

#82 Feb 14, 2013
obamahamza08 wrote:
<quoted text>the irish was treated bad here
THAT's our problems black folks we want always to be mixed with devils and we hate our original blood
You cant change past muthafucka

You AA got white in you

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#83 Feb 14, 2013
Bigsmoke wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you never really know.
The most stereotypically central-west African looking ''African American'' could be over 50% European. It can happen.
Not that african looking. She looked like she just stepped off the boat lol. Thats a joke!

“The Love Below”

Level 8

ATL

#84 Feb 14, 2013
obamahamza08 wrote:
<quoted text>
the irish was treated bad here
Did I say I was proud? Im proud of my blackness over anything. Im proud to be here, and my people had to be strong as hell, for me to be here. I dont know every story, but Im here, and tons more of AA's/Black Americans, and Im sure many are very proud. I dont know everyone's family story, or how what got in their family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White girl hustle 3 min Grandmaster 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,417,197
Obama finally decides to put golfing aside to v... 25 min Sicklecell Supporter 24
y'all crakkkas are the most evil creatures ever!! 34 min Sicklecell Supporter 23
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 37 min Real 47,815
Do Black men like Asian girls? (Jul '13) 42 min Amanda 905
Here we go! Now Obama skipping Clinton Conferen... 1 hr Andrew 2
Why aren't there any Negroes in the Bible? 1 hr Phoenix Ascended 357
Trump will carry atleast 25% of the BLACK VOTE 6 hr fluer 219
FREE RIDDIMS DOWNLOADS (Riddims from the year 1... (Jan '13) 10 hr DJ MATTHEW 58
More from around the web