What Names SHOULDN'T You Give Black C...

What Names SHOULDN'T You Give Black Children!

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Level 4

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 1, 2009
This is just a light hearted thread. In response to Ghetto names lol. In my eyes i feel it's weird to name your Black child : Sharon, Tracy, Timothy and Greggory. What are your choices?
TONE

Camp Hill, PA

#2 Jun 1, 2009
Brett,Becky,Josh,Jeremy,Scott, Susy.

Level 4

Location hidden

#3 Jun 1, 2009
Kyle, Callum , Laura, jemima for obvious reasons lol.

Level 4

Location hidden

#4 Jun 1, 2009
Sorry double post.
African-American Prince

Detroit, MI

#5 Jun 1, 2009
silky smoothy wrote:
This is just a light hearted thread. In response to Ghetto names lol. In my eyes i feel it's weird to name your Black child : Sharon, Tracy, Timothy and Greggory. What are your choices?
cosigns...brace yourself...here come both the trolls and the AA who will fight and die for the right to name their children after white folks!

Because they are so clueless and silly that they somehow equate that with them not being as American as whites or others...as if their citizenship relies on their having a European name!

And trust me...I have a very European name...all three of them...but not my children!
The Moor

Detroit, MI

#6 Jun 1, 2009
London,Madison,Andrew,Paul,Cha d,Stephen,hell Michael,Anthony,Gerald,Victori a,Becka and a zillion others!
Shaquita05

San Antonio, TX

#7 Jun 1, 2009
As long as its something people can pronounce...

“AKA; EbonyDoll 1973”

this fun coat is great

#8 Jun 1, 2009
silky smoothy wrote:
Shaquita, Takisha, LaQuisha, Jamaal should be on the 'don't not name your Black child' list.

I have Black friends named Sharon, Tracy, Timmy, and Greg.

Also..add Jerome, and Tyrome to the Black child no, no list.

“My Shining Star”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9 Jun 1, 2009
Hunter, Piper, Amy, Brent, Scarlett, Wendi, Wally, Rusty, Chance

Level 4

Location hidden

#10 Jun 1, 2009
African-American Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
cosigns...brace yourself...here come both the trolls and the AA who will fight and die for the right to name their children after white folks!
Because they are so clueless and silly that they somehow equate that with them not being as American as whites or others...as if their citizenship relies on their having a European name!
And trust me...I have a very European name...all three of them...but not my children!
I agree whole heartedly with you. I am not saying go African but come on a black Greggory that is taking the mick and yes iv'e met one lol. To me giving your children such names shows how much you really want to conform to the norm.
I mean in the UK Asians name their children after something in their culture like Waqas pronounced WHACK- ASS but you know what they don't care and nobody else does neither.
Other names are Barbra, Deborah,Debbie and of course Lucy lol.

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 1, 2009
Kyler Colby Poppenheimer

“Learn to love yourself first!!”

Since: Oct 07

Georgia Peach

#12 Jun 1, 2009
Names that will hinder them in the future. There is nothing wrong with normal, everyday names. Just because a name pronounceable( or however you spell it), doesnt make it a "white"name

Level 4

Location hidden

#13 Jun 1, 2009
Oh yeah Albert and Edward .
TONE

Camp Hill, PA

#15 Jun 1, 2009
White names: Adolf,Wally,Chad or Thad
Black names: Leroy,Harvey,Walter

“My Shining Star”

Location hidden

#16 Jun 1, 2009
Landon Schmidt

It's actually getting to be cute :)

Level 4

Location hidden

#18 Jun 1, 2009
Brenda007 wrote:
<quoted text>Shaquita, Takisha, LaQuisha, Jamaal should be on the 'don't not name your Black child' list.
I have Black friends named Sharon, Tracy, Timmy, and Greg.
Also..add Jerome, and Tyrome to the Black child no, no list.
I agree with you on Non ghetto names. But please Sharon on a Black woman is plain wrong.

“AKA; EbonyDoll 1973”

this fun coat is great

#20 Jun 1, 2009
silky smoothy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you on Non ghetto names. But please Sharon on a Black woman is plain wrong.
LOL The Sharon I know was my very best friend back in the day.

You know, I'm sure I'm much older than a lot of posters here but in the early '80 "Sharon" was a very popular name in the Black Community. So was:

Gregory
Linda
Kathy
Debra
Earl
Robert
Nancy
Frederick
Frank
Tim
Timmy
Beverly
Katherine
Darryl
Randy
Otis
Richard
Steven
Donald
Ronald
Larry
Raymond
Clifford
Reggie
Alvin
Denise
Jeffery
LaNette
Donna
Darlene
....and the list goes on

“A diamond in the rough...”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#21 Jun 1, 2009
silky smoothy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree whole heartedly with you. I am not saying go African but come on a black Greggory that is taking the mick and yes iv'e met one lol. To me giving your children such names shows how much you really want to conform to the norm.
I mean in the UK Asians name their children after something in their culture like Waqas pronounced WHACK- ASS but you know what they don't care and nobody else does neither.
Other names are Barbra, Deborah,Debbie and of course Lucy lol.
Yeah I know what you mean. I don't like ghetto names but I've met black people with the "normal" conforming names you mention and the first thing that comes to my head is their parents wanted really badly for them not to sound an ounce of black!

Laurie,Megan,Miley,Kathleen,Re agan,Evan,Brent,Kyle
nicknamed Beth or Liz,Becka or Becky,Max...

“Eat, Pray, Love!”

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

New Jersey

#22 Jun 1, 2009
silky smoothy wrote:
Not to say that there is anything wrong with naming black children what we think of as traditional black names like Shauniqia or Jamual but we as must know that these name are marked by many negative stereotypes by white society. And like it or not this is world we as black people live in and have to survive in. So it is wise to give our children names that lead whites and other races of people to discriminate them even before them meeting them?

“A diamond in the rough...”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#23 Jun 1, 2009
Sharon,Tracy,Deborah,and Barbara are quite common for older black women here in the U.S. And Gregory and Timothy are too! lol...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleveland transit cop pepper spray Black Lives ... 7 min A pound of cure 8
Great Hook up site for Black Men and White Women 10 min anonymous 8
Blacks can't learn math. 23 min craig 35
QuanellX trains with MO City PD 29 min _aisling 4
Barros reveals his ethnicity 30 min Fred 262
white women are the prettiest, black women are ... 30 min Fabulous 168
Poll Which women are easiest to get into the bed ? (Jun '11) 33 min TlMfromEvanston 42
Why are most white people racist? 35 min Mick 1,880
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 1 hr Curious Me 34,846
News Hulk Hogan fired, removed from WWE site amid ra... 7 hr Jake 46
More from around the web