Are Aboriginal Australians truly caucasian ?

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Linda

United States

#1 Nov 17, 2007
Aboriginal Australians are descended from the same modern human ancestors who left Africa to populate other parts of the world, says a new genetic study.

The study supports the Out of Africa theory about the dispersal of modern humans, but scientists disagree over how many entry points people used to reach Australia.

Georgi Hudjashov, of Tartu University in Estonia, and colleagues report their study online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The team analysed samples of Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA, previously collected from Aboriginal Australian and Melanesian people.

"All these lineages trace back to the same Out of Africa migration," says co-author Dr Toomas Kivisild, an evolutionary geneticist at the UK's University of Cambridge.

The researchers say modern humans dispersed from Africa somewhere between 50,000 and 70,000 years ago, travelled along the coast of India and down through Southeast Asia before splitting off into Papua New Guinea and Australia.

"Australia would have been settled by only one migration," says Kivisild. "This is the hypothesis that we see is most consistent with the data."

The study provides further support for the Out of Africa model, in which a single wave of modern humans fanned out from Africa, replacing early humans as they went.

And it counters the alternative 'regional continuity' model that suggests there was more complex interbreeding among humans, who had evolved in different parts of the world.

According to this model, there were multiple waves of migration to Australia, which helps explain the diversity in appearance of Aboriginal communities today.

One entry point?

Dr Sheila van Holst Pellekaan, an Australian molecular anthropologist from the University of New South Wales, agrees that genetic evidence supports the Out of Africa theory for modern humans.

Samples of her collection of human DNA were used in the analysis.

But she disagrees with the conclusion that modern humans only entered Australia at one point.

"They've been a bit selective in their conclusion," says van Holst Pellekaan. "Their data does not exclude the possibility of people having come down from a more northern route and across different island crossings."

Kivisild says there are not enough samples from Australia, New Guinea and Indonesia to be able to identify more than one entry point.

"Given the data that is available now, it seems there was one major migration," he says.

Debate continues on the merits of the regional continuity model, even among geneticists.

"Unless DNA signatures from early humans are discovered in modern humans, this debate is likely to continue," says van Holst Pellekaan.
Linda

United States

#2 Nov 17, 2007
Linda

United States

#3 Nov 17, 2007
Here are pure blooded Aboriginal Australians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Austr...
Sam

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 17, 2007
For some unknown reason the Aboriginal people fascinate me......They seem so interesting

Since: May 07

Washington, DC

#5 Nov 17, 2007
Of course not! Just because they have blonde, straight hair and aquiline noses, traits we assume are "Caucasian" but are not since they are NOT exclusive to whites, it doesn't make them Caucasian. I can't believe they were ridiculously classified as Caucasians by whites with their Eurocentric pseudoscience to keep us blacks divided into these obsurd racial categories based off our phenotypical differences. Don't fall for that Eurocentric construct of race my black people!
Joe

Chicago, IL

#8 Nov 17, 2007
I've always thought they were black..caucasian never came to my mind

“lol”

Level 2

Since: Sep 07

Miami

#9 Nov 17, 2007
Does anybody know the original phenotype of the first homo sapiens of Africa? Simply because they are in Africa doesn't mean they look like what we call black today, that is westAfrican sub-saharan type, from which ridiculous construct we derive to more ridiculous questions like "Are Ethiopians black" or "Are Indians black".

Anyway, as I see it, everyone differs slowly when you go region to region, and most of it is because people evolved differently, not because there is mixing (though there is).

It is highly possible though that Caucasians evolved from Aboriginal people. An albino Tamil looks like a European.
Ava

San Diego, CA

#10 Nov 17, 2007
I heard they belong to a sub race. But one website says they are related to Indians, though I just don't see it. I don't think they look like anyone but Aboriginals. Their features are unique. Even their skull shapes are unusual. They fascinate me too for some reason.
Lil Joe

Twinsburg, OH

#11 Nov 17, 2007
baad indyan wrote:
Does anybody know the original phenotype of the first homo sapiens of Africa? Simply because they are in Africa doesn't mean they look like what we call black today, that is westAfrican sub-saharan type, from which ridiculous construct we derive to more ridiculous questions like "Are Ethiopians black" or "Are Indians black".
Anyway, as I see it, everyone differs slowly when you go region to region, and most of it is because people evolved differently, not because there is mixing (though there is).
It is highly possible though that Caucasians evolved from Aboriginal people. An albino Tamil looks like a European.
If you are the indian dude in the avatar, I know I seen you on dateline " to catch a predator"
Lil Joe

Twinsburg, OH

#12 Nov 17, 2007
Sam wrote:
For some unknown reason the Aboriginal people fascinate me......They seem so interesting
Especially when I watching a gieco commercial
Joe

Chicago, IL

#13 Nov 17, 2007
Ava wrote:
I heard they belong to a sub race. But one website says they are related to Indians, though I just don't see it. I don't think they look like anyone but Aboriginals. Their features are unique. Even their skull shapes are unusual. They fascinate me too for some reason.
"Their features are unique"..That is so true

“lol”

Level 2

Since: Sep 07

Miami

#14 Nov 17, 2007
Lil Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are the indian dude in the avatar, I know I seen you on dateline " to catch a predator"
lol wtf? i'd be in jail right now if i was on that show
C-Bisquit

United States

#15 Nov 17, 2007
Caucasian!!?? Not with the so-called Negro features as white people would put it. The majority of them have fine hair but fine hair is not caucasian trait. To me they look more like West-Africans than caucasians to me. That is the ones who did not mix with the Europeans settlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Sam

Chicago, IL

#16 Nov 17, 2007
Too, how are the Aboriginal people treated in Australia?
Linda

United States

#17 Nov 17, 2007
Mack the Great wrote:
Of course not! Just because they have blonde, straight hair and aquiline noses, traits we assume are "Caucasian" but are not since they are NOT exclusive to whites, it doesn't make them Caucasian. I can't believe they were ridiculously classified as Caucasians by whites with their Eurocentric pseudoscience to keep us blacks divided into these obsurd racial categories based off our phenotypical differences. Don't fall for that Eurocentric construct of race my black people!
Well, usually the white looking Australian aboriginal are 1/4 aborignal, or LESS. I'm talking about the pure one's with very little mixing. I knew this one girl she said she was aborignal, but she was really ONLY 1/8. So, a white person can say that, but their great grand mother could've only been native . They say they keep their culture, and that they are. I don't know why.

Pure aborigal MAN
http://www.didjshop.com/images/corrob3_fuzz.j...

http://www.anthropology.union.edu/tasmania/Ta...

http://www.bayflicks.net/tencanoes.jpg

“lol”

Level 2

Since: Sep 07

Miami

#18 Nov 17, 2007
Ava wrote:
I heard they belong to a sub race. But one website says they are related to Indians, though I just don't see it. I don't think they look like anyone but Aboriginals. Their features are unique. Even their skull shapes are unusual. They fascinate me too for some reason.
They are related to us, look at this video


Anyway, they are related to us, just like Ethiopians and Somalis are too, and they are related to more Bantu and Khoisan people. Going in northward trend, we are related to Persians and Slavs, who are also related to us as well as to Germanics and Nordics. People don't realize that phenotypes are really continuous in this world.
Jesse Lee Peterson

Richmond Hill, Canada

#19 Nov 17, 2007
No we black folk have to stop being so stupid all the time there would be less crime and less drive by shootings :P
c diddy

United States

#20 Nov 17, 2007
Offcourse Aboriginals arent truly Caucasians. This just proves all the more you can't trust these culture and heritage stealing white devils classification on race. These craccaz will white wash and steal anybody's culture and racial identify if you let em.

To me aboriginals are def not craccaz. If anything there like they're sorta like albinos but only darkskin.....wierd looking black people whom are atypical of the average black person but still black
Saba

Australia

#22 Nov 18, 2007
Linda wrote:
Aboriginal Australians are descended from the same modern human ancestors who left Africa to populate other parts of the world, says a new genetic study.
The study supports the Out of Africa theory about the dispersal of modern humans, but scientists disagree over how many entry points people used to reach Australia.
This appears to be correct. Recent studies indicate that Aboriginal people are descendants of a small group that arrived over 40,000 years ago and were isolated up to the 1780's except for some trading links in the north with Thais, Indonesians, Chinese and Papuans. There is a theory that the people of Tasmania were an earlier group of Negritos related to other groups in Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Cambodia, Malaysia and the Andaman Islands but maybe that has been discredited. The earlier remains of Aborigines indicate that there has been considerable physical adaption over the 40,000 years from a heavy skeleton to a light slender one. It is incredible that in 40,000 (probably much more) years of occupation the Aborigines did little to disturb the natural environment. Near my home you can find ceremonial rock patterns in the grass, rock shelters and remains of tool manufacture, while at the coast you will often find shell middens from thousands of years of cracking shellfish but it is amazing how they lived in harmony with nature. Fortunately since the 1970's Aboriginal culture has revived and is flourishing, especially in art.
Eddy Smegma

Troy, NY

#23 Nov 18, 2007
Too wrote:
caucasian? Lllooollll! You got to be kidding me right? Im from Australia, and we consider them black. They are from really africa, but they change over the 50'000 years.
Hey stupid,

Try telling a Koori (aborigine) his ancestors came from Africa and you'll likely get a fat lip (if that's possible on a negro). The Koori have their own creation stories and Africa has no part in them.

In any event, I've never heard the aborigines classified as Caucasian. I think you black morons just make this crap up, a strawman, so you can feel good knocking it down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AA Question Slave history????? 3 min Hetero-sapien 12
Non-AAs have NO RIGHT to be in this forum 5 min Samoan Irish 12
goodlooking people only!!! 6 min White God 48
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,172,819
Hebrew Israelite (Feb '11) 6 min Don Barros Serrano 104,181
Your mother and father was white, what are you? 9 min Carmela 2
can we offend god... by what we tyoe on topix? 11 min Samoan Irish 1
Name something POSITIVE about black people. 11 min Don Barros Serrano 326
BM is mad b/c white girls don't like him. 29 min Mick 409
I need proof that the Ancient Egyptians Were No... (Oct '07) 43 min IMHOTEP 28,507
Did Africans REALLY sell other blacks into slav... 1 hr Kenyanboy 168
More from around the web