Christopher Columbus ship found in Ha...

Christopher Columbus ship found in Haiti waters

Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Trouble

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jun 2, 2014
(CNN)-- Is a sunken shipwreck off Haiti the long-lost remains of the Santa Maria, Christopher Columbus' flagship from his first voyage to the Americas? Underwater explorer Barry Clifford, who led a team that found and investigated the wreck, says he's confident it is.
"This is the ship that changed the course of human history," Clifford said. If the claim is confirmed, it would go down as one of the most significant underwater archaeological discoveries ever.

The ship "still has attributes that warrant an excavation to determine the site's identity," archaeologist Charles Beeker of Indiana University said Tuesday. "Barry may have finally discovered the 1492 Santa Maria."The evidence, Beeker said, is "very compelling."The ship was found in the exact area where Columbus said the Santa Maria ran aground more than 500 years ago, Clifford said. The wreck is stuck on a reef off Haiti's northern coast, 10 to 15 feet beneath the water's surface.

The voyage aimed to find a westward route to China, India and the gold and spice islands of the East. But the land the sailors set eyes on in October 1492 was an island in the Caribbean. Among the islands on which Columbus set foot was Hispaniola, which is divided between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Columbus established a fort in Haiti.That December, the Santa Maria accidentally ran aground off the island's coast. Some planks and provisions from the wrecked ship, which was about 117 feet (36 meters) long, were used by the garrison at the fort. Columbus set off back to Spain with the two remaining ships, the Nina and the Pinta, in January 1493.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/13/world/americas/...

Lili4
Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2 Jun 2, 2014
Interesting info about that guy who got a bit confused and landed on the wrong continent. May the Tainos R.I.P.
Trouble

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jun 2, 2014
Lili4 wrote:
Interesting info about that guy who got a bit confused and landed on the wrong continent. May the Tainos R.I.P.
Kind of funny you referring to the guy who discovered America as "that guy". I'm sure you heard his name more than once in school.

Lili4
Level 2

Location hidden

#4 Jun 2, 2014
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of funny you referring to the guy who discovered America as "that guy". I'm sure you heard his name more than once in school.
It was a joke, LOL. But most of us Natives don't exactly like the guy, and he didn't discover America, he just got confused and landed here, while it was already populated. We discovered it tens of thousands of years ago, when we left Siberia. And the Vikings landed in Canada long before Colon ever came to the Americas, so he wasn't even the first European to come here.
Trouble

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jun 2, 2014
Lili4 wrote:
<quoted text> We discovered it tens of thousands of years ago, when we left Siberia. And the Vikings landed in Canada long before Colon ever came to the Americas, so he wasn't even the first European to come here.
Is the Vikings being in Canada hearsay, or is there documented proof? Also, since you're Indian...the stories about your people dancing and making it rain, true or myth?

Lili4
Level 2

Location hidden

#6 Jun 2, 2014
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text> Is the Vikings being in Canada hearsay, or is there documented proof? Also, since you're Indian...the stories about your people dancing and making it rain, true or myth?
It's definitely not hearsay. It's well documented. The Vikings landed in Newfoundland and Labrador, about 1000 years ago. My tribe has many dances, such as the Stomp-Dance and the Buffalo-Dance, but we have no rain dance. I belong to a Southeastern woodlands tribe called the Muskogee (Creek). The rain dance is more of a Southwestern NA thing (lots of desert out there) and you'd have to ask UruEuWauWau (half Apache) or someone else about that.

“Sleep is My Sanctuary”

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#7 Jun 3, 2014
Are teachers still lying to kids that this man "discovered" America? Are they really?
UruEuWauWau

Maringá, Brazil

#8 Jun 3, 2014
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text> Is the Vikings being in Canada hearsay, or is there documented proof? Also, since you're Indian...the stories about your people dancing and making it rain, true or myth?
True. In Apache NA nations it was adopted from aboriginal & neighborin' Pueblos. ;-) However, today it's simply a rare cultural dance hardly anyone dances, but it's still a somewhat strong cultural mark amongst Pueblos. ;-)

Lili4
Level 2

Location hidden

#9 Jun 3, 2014
Jubilant Sleep wrote:
Are teachers still lying to kids that this man "discovered" America? Are they really?
I guess the ones in Brooklyn are. Even in my area of Alabama, they don't teach that nonsense anymore.

Insect Trust
Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#10 Jun 3, 2014
Whether the word "discovered" is used is the least important issue. What is necessary is that Columbus be exposed, taught, as the genocidal sociopath he clearly was.

It is not just that he opened up America to European incursions, he himself set the tone of the genocide to follow. Columbus had his men cut off the hands of Natives who didn't bring in their quota of gold (ignoring that in fact there was not that much gold to be found on Cuba-Hispaniola). He maintained barns full of Native females to be used as sex slaves by the Spanish.

Within 2 generations most of the Taíno had been exterminated.

Fray Bartolomé de las Casas wrote back to Spain exposing these crimes, and was threatened with death by Columbus' soldiers. His reports induced the Spanish Crown to pass laws protecting the rights of indigenous people in America. These laws did little to curtail the rampaging Spanish, however.

“Sleep is My Sanctuary”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 3, 2014
Insect Trust wrote:
Whether the word "discovered" is used is the least important issue. What is necessary is that Columbus be exposed, taught, as the genocidal sociopath he clearly was.
Agreed. I had to wait until college to learn that part.

Insect Trust
Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#12 Jun 3, 2014
Also, I should mention that Columbus himself could be considered to be the creator of the transatlantic slave trade, as he suggested this in letters to the Crown, saying that it would be far more effective to use African slaves as the Natives tended to die or commit suicide. Africans were already being enslaved (after centuries of enslavement by the Moors) by the Spanish in the Canaries, in the sugar industry, and so one could say that it ws inevitable the Spanish would extend this to America, but nonetheless, Columbus was the first one to suggest it.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#13 Jun 3, 2014
Christopher Columbus was a mass murderer.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#14 Jun 3, 2014
Insect Trust wrote:
It is not just that he opened up America to European incursions, he himself set the tone of the genocide to follow. Columbus had his men cut off the hands of Natives who didn't bring in their quota of gold (ignoring that in fact there was not that much gold to be found on Cuba-Hispaniola). He maintained barns full of Native females to be used as sex slaves by the Spanish.
Within 2 generations most of the Taíno had been exterminated.
Fray Bartolomé de las Casas wrote back to Spain exposing these crimes, and was threatened with death by Columbus' soldiers. His reports induced the Spanish Crown to pass laws protecting the rights of indigenous people in America. These laws did little to curtail the rampaging Spanish, however.
LOL. I watched one movie in which Columbus is portrayed as trying to help the Native Americans.

“Sleep is My Sanctuary”

Location hidden

#15 Jun 3, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. I watched one movie in which Columbus is portrayed as trying to help the Native Americans.
Unfortunately there are many more movies like that shown in schools. Brainwashing them early.

Lili4
Level 2

Location hidden

#16 Jun 3, 2014
I have some Taino ancestry. Mostly Muskogee ancestry, though. Yeah, needless to say, I'm not exactly fond of Cristobal Colon.
RAPA TU MALDITA MADRE

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

#17 Jun 3, 2014
Insect Trust wrote:
Also, I should mention that Columbus himself could be considered to be the creator of the transatlantic slave trade, as he suggested this in letters to the Crown, saying that it would be far more effective to use African slaves as the Natives tended to die or commit suicide. Africans were already being enslaved (after centuries of enslavement by the Moors) by the Spanish in the Canaries, in the sugar industry, and so one could say that it ws inevitable the Spanish would extend this to America, but nonetheless, Columbus was the first one to suggest it.
It was the Spanish colonists in Santo Domingo who were responsible for starting the transatlantic slave trade. They ask the queen and king of Spain permission to import slave due to the natives dieing off rapidly.
RAPA TU MALDITA MADRE

#18 Jun 3, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
Christopher Columbus was a mass murderer.
It was the Spanish Colonists that were responsible for the mass murdering of the Tainos. Christopher Columbus did not stay put on the island for too long. Most of the early colonist were delinquents at that time. Colombus did not have any control over his men. Im not saying he was a good guy or anything. But it was the Spainards that were responsible for this.
Trouble

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jun 3, 2014
Jubilant Sleep wrote:
I should know better, but the phrase "Columbus discovered America" has been drilled in our heads so many times, going back since 2nd grade that it's the first thing that automatically come to our mind whenever the name "Cristopher Columbus" is mentioned.
RAPA TU MALDITA MADRE

#20 Jun 3, 2014
Trouble wrote:
<quoted text> I should know better, but the phrase "Columbus discovered America" has been drilled in our heads so many times, going back since 2nd grade that it's the first thing that automatically come to our mind whenever the name "Cristopher Columbus" is mentioned.
dude it was leif erickson that "discovered" america first. not christopher colon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesse Williams dating a white women 1 min Jax 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,521,912
NEGROES -- what would be your preferred method... 5 min IT IS I 68
Racists are not born, they're created 8 min Harrisson 33
wrote a poetry book for my black fiancee 9 min Ttt 12
Long day today. I can OOK for about a hour or t... 10 min The Sharpened Axe 7
The Moors, Egyptians and Phoenicians were not b... (Jun '14) 10 min Anonymous 1,702
Baltimore Over 100 Homocides This Year! 48 min lmao 43
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 2 hr Djones220 1,487
White Pride Comes Roaring Back. 3 hr Harrisson 41
More from around the web