Posted in the African-American Forum

First Prev
of 24
Next Last

“Just Keeping it Real”

Since: Mar 09

Middletown, OH

#1 May 2, 2009
I bought a bookleg copy of "Medea goes to Jail" yesterday. My purpose was to once again make a supreme effort to enjoy one of Perry's movie. This did not happen.

I should point out that I love movies. I'll watch third-rate movies from the 30s and 40s for hours. I'll watch Charlie Chaplin's 1915 silent movies and be amazed at the comedic genius of the man. But watching Tyler's movies gets me sick to my stomach.

Medea is a one trick pony. Ok, there isn't anything especially wrong with that; we've seen it in comedies before. But what is it about this character and cast that makes me embarrassed to be sitting there watching them?

I saw "Set it Off" the other night and loved it. I used to love Spike Lee's work until he got preachy. So it's not black movies. What is it then?

I could not watch "Medea goes to Jail." I took the bootleg DVD out off my player right after she leaves the court with her family. The scene in the car riding home was the straw that broke the camel's back. The dialog was so predicable and stupid.

Then the scene with the prostitute in the restaurant. Ok, Perry has learned how to build a subplot. Good. But did he have to pick one so cliched?

We've all heard Perry speak. He speaks well. He's an interesting guy, then why are his movies so hopelessly simplistic? Why o you always know how a scene is going to end before it even starts?

Why isn't his work improving?

And mostly, why am I the only black person who realizes how inferior his films are?

Mack the Great

Since: May 07

Fort Washington, MD

#2 May 2, 2009
LOL You;re not the only one bro! Sure Tyler Perry may be successful to his movies and made an accomplishment despite his background of being poor, but his movies really do suck dick. The plots and dialogue are so predictable and as far as his Madea series of movies go, they are total joke indefinetely. It reminds me alot like the Ernest movies franchise where Ernest was involved in unorthodoxed situations and adventures. If Tyler Perry wants better movies made, he has to come up with better dialogue, touch on themes rarely discussed in the black community, and etc.

Hell, the main reason why hate Perry's movies because like all other black movie directors and producers, they limit themselves to the same old genres of comedy and drama and their movies themes are always based on stereotypes and issues in our community. How about some more black sci-fi, horror, and action flicks that take a break from these cliched black cultual themes used in their movies?

Level 2

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 May 2, 2009
I admire his work and i loved and watched all his movies. They are very positive, entertaining and funny. His movies are exactly what black ppl should be watching cuz it is based on realities most AA go through.
I can’t believe u 2 just said that

“Find The God Within Yourselves”

Level 1

Since: Jul 08

Born in Paradise

#4 May 2, 2009
Co-sign MAck, and Mulebone-- i never really looked that deep into it...

perhaps i will watch it again with a more watchful eye...idk

Mack the Great

Fort Washington, MD

#5 May 2, 2009
-FlowerBomb- wrote:
I admire his work and i loved and watched all his movies. They are very positive, entertaining and funny. His movies are exactly what black ppl should be watching cuz it is based on realities most AA go through.
I can’t believe u 2 just said that
LOL I'm dead serious about that sis. Haven't you noticed that his movies have predicatable plots and always talk about the same old tiring black stereotypes in our community?When was the last time you saw a black sci-fi movie, or horror movie that wasn't all about stereotypes in our culture?Comedy and drama movies are the only genres of movies we blacks make and it's no wonder why white movie producers are more successful and have more blockbuster hits than black producers; because they do all genres and don't limit themselves to just one or two.

“It's Good being Me!”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#6 May 2, 2009
I don't think his movies are bad. I like them. Pretty much any age group could watch it. There's not much cursing, sex scenes, etc. They do depit black families, all kinds. Some have money, some don't. Some are no good & some can only do good. He's shows every kind of black. I like that. Also, he doesn't show relations but courtship when his characters start developing relationships w/each other. And all his actors actresses don't all look one way. AA's come in all shapes, colors, w/different textures, backgrounds & social status & he shows us all of us.

“Uncle Tom”

Since: Feb 07

Brooklyn, NY

#7 May 2, 2009
Tyler perry has his fans. i know many people feel inspired and touched by his movies. Personally, i dont think he is talentend, but let the brother do his thing. He may open the door to more creative people.
bolly

Brooklyn, NY

#8 May 3, 2009
Coonery and buffoonery.

“R U Still Down?”

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Utica, KY

#9 May 3, 2009
Have u seen House of Payne. Absolute garbage

“Real Black Men Speak English”

Level 4

Bmore

#10 May 3, 2009
Mulebone wrote:
I bought a bookleg copy of "Medea goes to Jail" yesterday. My purpose was to once again make a supreme effort to enjoy one of Perry's movie. This did not happen.
I suggest you watch one of his non Madea movies. Start with "Why Did I Get Married.?"
melissa

Nassau, Bahamas

#11 May 3, 2009
his movies are awesome this guy is a genius and if you cant see that your an as*!
bolly

Brooklyn, NY

#12 May 3, 2009
What is so entertaining about a gay black guy dressing up as a fat black woman?
Blackinjun

United States

#13 May 3, 2009
Mulebone wrote:
I should point out that I love movies. I'll watch third-rate movies from the 30s and 40s for hours. I'll watch Charlie Chaplin's 1915 silent movies and be amazed at the comedic genius of the man. But watching Tyler's movies gets me sick to my stomach.
Medea is a one trick pony. Ok, there isn't anything especially wrong with that; we've seen it in comedies before. But what is it about this character and cast that makes me embarrassed to be sitting there watching them?
I saw "Set it Off" the other night and loved it. I used to love Spike Lee's work until he got preachy. So it's not black movies. What is it then?
I could not watch "Medea goes to Jail." I took the bootleg DVD out off my player right after she leaves the court with her family. The scene in the car riding home was the straw that broke the camel's back. The dialog was so predicable and stupid.
Then the scene with the prostitute in the restaurant. Ok, Perry has learned how to build a subplot. Good. But did he have to pick one so cliched?
We've all heard Perry speak. He speaks well. He's an interesting guy, then why are his movies so hopelessly simplistic? Why o you always know how a scene is going to end before it even starts?
Why isn't his work improving?
And mostly, why am I the only black person who realizes how inferior his films are?
believe me you aren't the only one.. perry's movies are for white folks with the need to feel superior and negros.(southern in nature.)

Mack the Great

Fort Washington, MD

#14 May 3, 2009
melissa wrote:
his movies are awesome this guy is a genius and if you cant see that your an as*!
LOL Not really!There's nothing really creative and noteworthy about his movies since like I said before, they focus on stereotypes in our culture and are the usual boring genres of comedy and drama.

“In Grizz We Trust”

Level 1

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#15 May 3, 2009
Not a fan of his work...

“Nesian-Power! ”

Since: Jun 07

BK

#16 May 3, 2009
I agree, they are aweful. They all have the same blueprint: A weak victimized woman needing a man to rescue her, mixed in with some crazy family members.
L-des

Brentwood, NY

#17 May 3, 2009
Whatevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! !!

You all made the same remarks about the Black Female Author Alice Walker Books. Her books w were created into movies starting with "The Color Purple" and "Beloved". Mostly every AA's complained about her books and movies as well. When are AA's going to start promoting and sticking by each other instead of always finding something WRONG!!!

If you hate Tyler Perry so much why don't you people go to his WEBSITE . I know he will be excited if you give him SUGGESTIONS that may INCREASE PROFITS for his $100,000,000 million dollar self made business. LMBAO!!

“NWO Abolitioners”

Level 2

Since: May 08

Alnitak, Alnilam And Mintaka

#18 May 3, 2009
Because He Is A Self Hating "House" Who Capitalizes On The Perpetuating The Ignorant Stereotypes Of Black Americans.

No One Loves Him More Than Self Hating BAs, Whites And Africans.

:)

“NWO Abolitioners”

Level 2

Since: May 08

Alnitak, Alnilam And Mintaka

#19 May 3, 2009
Furthermore, Any Black Man Who Wants To Have Sex With Another Man Obviously, "To Some Degree" Has Issues With Women. Which Is Why I Believe He Portrays Black Women So Despicably.
Blackinjun

United States

#20 May 3, 2009
Knottie wrote:
Furthermore, Any Black Man Who Wants To Have Sex With Another Man Obviously, "To Some Degree" Has Issues With Women. Which Is Why I Believe He Portrays Black Women So Despicably.
well i guess you made that clear...lmbao..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many times must blacks bring cave people ou... (Feb '15) 2 min Drilling for the ... 5
News Trump calls on GOP to improve African-American ... 2 min Lawrence Wolf 322
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min cathy1691823 1,418,440
News What does 'diversity' mean to you? The answer m... (Aug '14) 3 min Spotted Girl 26
Decent Law Abiding Christian White Folk 13 min Andrew 1
Why do blacks claim North Africans as black? 14 min Who 55
Kellyanne Conway will sink Trump 18 min Hillary 2016 4
Why aren't there any Negroes in the Bible? 40 min Child of Israel 498
Trump will carry atleast 25% of the BLACK VOTE 1 hr fluer 237
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 5 hr Moses 47,847
More from around the web