Does Washington State Have A Lot Of R...
Does it really matter

Olympia, WA

#57 Apr 3, 2014
Racism is alive in Thurston County and in WA state. I live in Thurston County and have been with state government for over 25 years and they do not want African Americans here. They don't want to promote us, they want to isolate us and keep us in lower paying jobs. They want to control us and make us like slaves and send the message like you better be glad you have a job, treating us like second class citizens. I pray for the hatered that some of the people in this County carry, because I know this is the only heaven they will ever see, here on this earth. We must some how come together against this intentional infliction of unfair treatment that they continue to get away with because of numbers. Bitter people only treat others like they are feeling. I never want to be bitter, I choose to be better and pray for the ones that have ugly hearts.
John

Wenatchee, WA

#58 May 7, 2014
DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
washington state has one of the most disproportionate incarceration rates in the country. with just 3.6% black, about 26% incarcerated are aa.
I would be really interested in seeing where this information came from. It seems like an incredibly skewed justice system in that state. That rate is far worse than the national average and also worse than many other states with larger African American populations. I am conducting research into this matter after seeing some disturbing trends with law enforcement in Washington State.
Logicalism

United States

#60 May 7, 2014
BPVeteran wrote:
Yes Washington state is racist. Dupont is VERY racist. You not white or white washed you ain't right.
"...or white washed..."?

By that it seems more like it's "culturalist" rather than "racist", imo, but I could be wrong of course, as I've never been there (and I'm not AA).

I think a lot of people might confuse racism with "culturalism". If you walk, talk and act like them, that's their culture, so you'll fit in much more. It's like calling people bigots when you move to their country and yet refuse to speak their native language. If you're not willing to change for them then why should they be forced to accept you? They figure you should go live around others of your own culture.

Go to Europe, especially to the UK and France, then talk to them and see the cultural bias they have against each other. Obviously, they're both European, so many in the U.S.(if they didn't know already) would think that they must love each other? lol! Nope. The cultural bias will divide people, not merely based on genetic background. IF you don't talk, act or live like those around you, you'll be an alien, no matter what color you are. And black people in the U.S. typically do have a very different culture from major groups of white people. So I think this is the key to look at.

This is just a fact of life. Only time this is generally accepted is when you have such a heavy mixture of all different cultures in one spot, such as certain big cities. Even then, certain spots will show bias toward 'their own kind'.

This is all about the human mind.
Marcus Washington

Laredo, TX

#61 May 8, 2014
VirgoSLC wrote:
How many of you live there and how would you rate it as far as racial tolerance? I'm not just talking about Seattle and Spokane, but the state as a whole?
There are a bunch of racist Yellow People there and they all know Karate. So I'd be very wary of moving to Washington. They can't drive either so be careful. Either way you're f**Ked, Damn Chinamen!
Lin

Portland, OR

#62 Jul 23, 2014
I've lived in WA since I was 9 and I noticed racism occasionally but generally it wasn't against blacks. Although I do agree that there are very few blacks here. I live in Vancouver, WA by Portland and the racism that I've seen has been primarly towards Mexicans. I'm half latino (although you cant outright tell) but I've had people talking to me and state that they are racist against Mexicans, and then go on to tell racist jokes. I'm sure the whole state isn't like this, but thats what I've encountered.
Left Hook

Fairfield, CA

#63 Jul 23, 2014
Lin wrote:
I've lived in WA since I was 9 and I noticed racism occasionally but generally it wasn't against blacks. Although I do agree that there are very few blacks here. I live in Vancouver, WA by Portland and the racism that I've seen has been primarly towards Mexicans. I'm half latino (although you cant outright tell) but I've had people talking to me and state that they are racist against Mexicans, and then go on to tell racist jokes. I'm sure the whole state isn't like this, but thats what I've encountered.
You think people don't make jokes about every race?. Your definition of racism is so naïve.
Joann 1973

Los Angeles, CA

#65 Nov 14, 2014
Let me tell you about my visit to Bellingham, Wa... I loved reconnecting with my dear friend after 20 years, I promised to celebrate her 40th birthday wherever she may be at the time, so Bellingham, Wa was the place! I was so excited! Until, we walked around downtown Bellingham and Fairhaven. I've never felt more uncomfortable in my life. People were snooty, watching me as I entered the stores and following me around as if I was to steal something. My 14 year old complimented a dog owner on how beautiful her dog was and she snapped at my daughter saying do not touch! My daughter didn't even have her hand out. Eating out was horrible! Waitresses were rude and tried to over charge our meals. I've never experienced this feeling before and had to get it off my chest! Thank you!
Africa

Saint Paul, MN

#66 Dec 20, 2014
LION wrote:
The best way for blacks to fight racism is through BLACK EMPOWERMENT which they are not doing.
Brilliant
Michael Washington

Seattle, WA

#67 Jan 17, 2015
Marcus Washington wrote:
Not really, just a bunch of Karate practicing,White worshipping Asians who can't drive a worth of f**k .I'd move there to make feel better about my little dyck but even those mofos are bigger than me. Damn my White father!!!!!
Great comment, can not stop laughing!!
cupcakelova2015

Houston, TX

#68 Jun 24, 2015
THX Cracks Da Whip wrote:
When I wrote that reply to the OP in October 2011 I knew that I would be moving to Seattle myself in a matter of months (end of February 2012) as the result of a transfer, but because one of my then co-workers also frequented these forums and was something of a BIG MOUTH I didn't disclose that fact.
Having now lived in Seattle for almost 5 months, I stick by my original assessment 100% and would only add that the social clique aspect of the region is far more palpable than I originally thought, which I would assume would mean race does factor into social interactions more.
Again, where I live and work, I see VERY few blacks. My wife is currently going through the process of getting her WA State Teacher's Cert. so she can go back to work finally (thank Chrsit), and of the 30 or so teachers in her class, there is not one black. That actually kinda surprised me when she told me.
We have made some friends with kids the same age as our twin girls (5 yrs almost) and we got together on the 4th for a BBQ. Very yuppie, both teachers, very persnickety imho, and I definitely sensed a race bias. When people like that start talking about school districts and neighborhoods, you know where they're going with it.
That being said, that's pretty much the way whites talk in private anyway. I'll never forget my wife's former asst. principal telling me outright in front of others at a Christmas party years ago that she would rather teach a class full of Mexicans than blacks. Again, that was an all white and Asian crowd.
There are many metro areas around the country where the people are used to living with blacks.
This is not one of them.
Does that lead to more "racism"? Not necessarily, but I would imagine it would be uncomfortable after awhile if one were black.
Thanks so much for your opinion it was honest, I plan to move to either Washington OR. Was wondering the best place for my family black family,
kaorisan1234

Yucaipa, CA

#69 Aug 15, 2015
madblackwoman1985 wrote:
<quoted text>a
It is racism here, cause i live here, and it might be diverse,but it is still racism here. The crackers around here, dont know their places especially these white trash dipsh**ts!They think they can talk to black people any kind of way, not thinking we will defend ourselves. Also there are people of other races too, that are racist,including some blacks against their own kind.Some of these negroes up here are crackerblack house negroes. I've ran into more racism up here, than down south. I dont know how the other parts of Washington are, but i know Seattle is worsen.
Your comment in its semf is racist go back to the south
abc

Yucaipa, CA

#70 Aug 15, 2015
Aa bring racism to them selves because of there attitudes im black and i live in a predominantly white town and i get no issues if ypu act and think a certain way its usually because of your demeanor And others can sense hostility from you i live just outside of Olympia and im fone with it here
Shelli

Kent, WA

#72 Sep 18, 2015
abc wrote:
Aa bring racism to them selves because of there attitudes im black and i live in a predominantly white town and i get no issues if ypu act and think a certain way its usually because of your demeanor And others can sense hostility from you i live just outside of Olympia and im fone with it here
I totally agree. I am originally from GA,a true southerner. We moved to Seattle and then to Olympia. We always get the same questions from AA.. "Why are you moving there" or "You know it's not many blacks there". When we thought about Kirkland, the same advice was given.. "You should move to Federal Way or Tacoma. No offense, but I like being in the areas where there are less AA. And unlike the AAs here, we are not uncomfortable being around white people or any other race regardless. We could've stayed in GA if our goal was to stay connected with AA.
skagithund

United States

#73 Nov 11, 2015
Racism thrives in Skagit Valley. I was racially profiled 3 times while shopping at Ace Hardware in Mount Vernon.
No one will hire me either. When called in for an interview my black face is a sure no. I see scowls on white faces everywhere I go. Black people are seen as villainous. I am becoming radicalized and have bad thoughts when I see white people. Maybe I will join the Black Panthers very soon!!!
Latinfire454

White Salmon, WA

#74 Dec 20, 2015
I comment from recent personal experience. I am a puerto rican registered nurse living in the central valley between Yakima and Tricities. My husband is the only black man in my town that we know of, and we heard of one other in a town nearby. We recently moved here from the Virginia islands, both have hair dreaded. I was recruited by the hospital. Since I do sterile procedures in the hospital, I am required to wear a hair cover. I was just let go this week because "I don't fit into their culture"...the nurse they had me training to take my place told me that many people thought I might be muslim, and suggested I look for work elsewhere. Washington whites are racist, racist to ethnics, I have witnessed it and experienced it. And I have NOT seen any ethnics in management positions, only whites.
Informationispow er

Seattle, WA

#76 May 25, 2016
Packwood WA has racist, white supremacist compounds. There are gas stations in town that openly refuse bathroom service to people of color. This is a dangerous town for people of color. More people should know about it. The ironic part is that Packwood is in Western Washington.
cracker

Bothell, WA

#77 May 26, 2016
Informationispower wrote:
Packwood WA has racist, white supremacist compounds. There are gas stations in town that openly refuse bathroom service to people of color. This is a dangerous town for people of color. More people should know about it. The ironic part is that Packwood is in Western Washington.
Peckerwood WA, you mean?
urright

Hollywood, FL

#78 Sep 2, 2016
LION wrote:
The best way for blacks to fight racism is through BLACK EMPOWERMENT which they are not doing.
You are the first person that I have noticed with the same idea as me, I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one
Donald Trump

Dacula, GA

#79 Sep 4, 2016
How is like in Moses Lake as far as racism and diversity.
Meagan mae

Anacortes, WA

#81 Jan 15, 2017
Klaus wrote:
There are non-Whites living in Washington State, presently. So, obviously, there is not nearly enough racism, there.
What the hell are u talking about ???? There are white people all over Washington

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

African-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After the Nogs built the "Gypshun" dynasty they... 3 min Harrisson 16
the moors were black africans not arabs!!! (Jun '08) 3 min Cant Escape DESTINY 51,754
each year 200,000,000 white women travel to afr... (May '15) 4 min victory lap 13
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min VetnorsGate 1,657,651
All great black leaders were actually light ski... 8 min Spinning 360 waves 16
Sean Hannity is reading the transcripts 9 min Harrisson 16
Michael Jackson was a pedophile 9 min victory lap 4
Leftoids Are Mentally Ill 2 hr Joy 63
MASTER IM WHITE fails at Everything!!! 6 hr The Patriot 28
Why don't black people just brag about Nubia? 6 hr WitoldPilecki 234
Do black men really have larger penises? (Sep '10) 6 hr Karenna S 1,615
More from around the web