Westford man's invention converts snowmobile into year-round ve...

Full story: Lowell Sun

Gary Levaseur looks cool driving his electric blue snowmobile down the street in the summer.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Oct 17, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

That is a great idea! Maybe he can open a company in this area that does conversions

“Why is all the rum gone?”

Since: Aug 08

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Lowering the Bar wrote:
That is a great idea! Maybe he can open a company in this area that does conversions
Hey LTB

I saw one of these contraptions in Pelham the other day. It was the coolest looking thing. I wouldn't get on a motorcycle, but I'd definitely go for a spin on one of these!

Lowell MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Grossed Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey LTB
I saw one of these contraptions in Pelham the other day. It was the coolest looking thing. I wouldn't get on a motorcycle, but I'd definitely go for a spin on one of these!
There are a lot of three wheeled bikes out there these days. What you saw most likely wasn't a snowmobile conversion.

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Lowering the Bar wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of three wheeled bikes out there these days. What you saw most likely wasn't a snowmobile conversion.
I wasn't aware of that! Maybe you're right. I drove by it so I didn't get a real good look, but it was still cool looking!

Hyde Park, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Actually, I just looked at the picture again. I think you're right because the one I saw had a more narrow wheel base than the one in the picture.

Still, it's a great idea. I hope the guy makes some money on it.
Edward

Gloucester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Great invention, but just how safe is it? Snowmobiles were built to withstand cold weather and run on snow. Would this invention of yours withstand extreme heat? What about operating it in rain? Or will this be used on ideal weather conditions?
Kevin

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Great idea for northern climates. I don't have a snowmobile anymore since you can only use it a couple of moths a year, gave u my bike for the same reason.
This makes it worth buying a sled again
new guy

Rutland, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

it's just like the can-am spyder. the spyder has a 990cc rotex motor that is just insane i love them
Bronson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

I met this guy one day a few months ago delivering Certified letters in Tyngsboro. It is a real snowmobile, the 2002 4 stroke Artic Cat was the first production 4 stroke sled. In order to keep the motor from running too hot in the summer, Gary installed a radiator. Production liquid cooled sleds use heat exchangers mounted inside the tunnel and rely on snow for cooling. So you see the need for a radiator. I have also seen a few other snowmobile conversions on the internet, but this is the first one I saw in person. I wish him the best on his invention.
steve

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Edward wrote:
Great invention, but just how safe is it? Snowmobiles were built to withstand cold weather and run on snow. Would this invention of yours withstand extreme heat? What about operating it in rain? Or will this be used on ideal weather conditions?
Yes, I would say it's fine to drive in the summertime heat. Snowmobiles are converted for dirt track drag racing. I've seen that firsthand several years ago. It was entertaining and those things are fast. So yea, it can withstand the heat.

I think it's a cool idea. I'd like to see it in person.
The Patriot

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

I don't see this going anywhere. For that kind of money you can buy a used car that gets good mpg.
Bronson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I would say it's fine to drive in the summertime heat. Snowmobiles are converted for dirt track drag racing. I've seen that firsthand several years ago. It was entertaining and those things are fast. So yea, it can withstand the heat.
I think it's a cool idea. I'd like to see it in person.
I have never seen dirt track drag racing, but starting this month, there are several organized events for grass drags, and water crossing. Now that's a trip. Also, sleds have been converted to drag race on asphalt, they race the 1/4 mile at drag strips. Some sleds have run the quarter in under 9 seconds.
ggerry levasseur

Edgewater, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

very nice i hope this kicks starts something good luck
Linda

Sterling, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

We saw him driving this down route 40 last week, my husband and I looked at each other and laughed and said, "was that what it looked like?" Now I know we weren't seeing things! How inventive, good luck to Mr. Levasseur with his venture.
Gary

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

The Patriot wrote:
I don't see this going anywhere. For that kind of money you can buy a used car that gets good mpg.
their are 1.6 million snowmobiles in the usa not including canada. My potential customers you do the math. if you owned a snowmobile do you want to store it or ride it?
Gary

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

ggerry levasseur wrote:
very nice i hope this kicks starts something good luck
Thanks, it all ready has, a local machine shop wrote, I own a machine shop and read your article on mr Levasseurs conversion kit. I would like to talk to him about investing my machine shop, time, material and expertise to help him develop this product for manufacturing.
Gary

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

Linda wrote:
We saw him driving this down route 40 last week, my husband and I looked at each other and laughed and said, "was that what it looked like?" Now I know we weren't seeing things! How inventive, good luck to Mr. Levasseur with his venture.
Thank you.
Gary

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

Lowering the Bar wrote:
Thats the plan. Thanks for the interest.
Marc

Hampton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Do you need sleds to help in product devolpment? I have a yamaha 2004 warrior that may help you. fantastic idea !

Lowell MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Gary,
If you have a website, please post it here. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Snowmobile Discussions

Search the Snowmobile Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bucks Lake Lodge fire being investigated (Jan '10) Apr '12 Richard Hull 20
Teenage boy trapped on floating piece of ice wi... (Nov '09) Apr '12 Show Me 35
Try winter camping in Michigan (Jan '11) Jan '11 Sneaky Pete 2
2010 World Championship Snowmobile Hill Climb -... (Mar '10) Dec '10 Tyson Ours 2
Police continue search as those rescued take sh... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Reeces Corners 1
Woman hit by snowmobile in Readsboro dies (Jan '10) Sep '10 Morgan 50
Two Missing Southern Tier Teens Found Dead (Mar '08) Jul '10 brooke 23
•••
•••
•••