Bucks Lake Lodge fire being investigated

Full story: Oroville Mercury-Register

The cause of a fire that destroyed Bucks Lake Lodge, a cabin and two storage buildings at a resort 50 miles northeast of Oroville is under investigation by U.S. Forest Service and Cal Fire officials, it was learned Thursday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
davidmallen65

Manteca, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

How sad. Buck's Lake was our family playground in the early '50s. Buck's Lake Lodge was the place for breakfast and the general store was a wonderland for a young child. Mr's Stack would cheerily greet all who came through the door.
After 75 years...it's gone. What a shame. I hope the investigators do a thorough job. If they find that all the irreplaceable photographs in the bar area had been removed shortly before the fire...suspect an arson!
Just The Facts Maam

Bonaire, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

This is just so sad. The lodge has been a friendly place to go for so many people for a lot of years. Can't imagine Buck's Lake without it. Let's hope the owners will re-create one very similar to the old lodge...nothing modern and flashy, just comfortable and homey. So sad.
Art Campos

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

This a terrible lost. My family owns this lodge and it has been a great shock to all our family. I'd like to note that had it not been for my one cousins girlfriend sleeping disorder, we could have had a death with this tragic fire, being my other cousin who was in the cabin that burned next to the lodge. We are sad for the lost of the lodge but we elated that all our family members are safe. Our hearts and prayers are with each one of our family members up at Bucks Lake Lodge.
Save Bucks Lake

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

My family has been vacationing up at Bucks Lake for over 50 years. This news has shocked us. Most of us travel from Socal every year to spend week or two up there. Some at Bucks Lodge, some at Lakeshore. Years of memories. Hard to imagine Bucks Lake with no lodge. First we lose Lakeshore now Bucks. I think PGE did it! J/k Wonder if they will finally reopen Lakeshore? Seems like there is a serious need for it. Come PGE help us out!!!!
Melissa Hays

Plumas Ntl Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2010

Judged:

Such a huge loss, a beautiful piece of history. Lots of good times and happy memories.
bucks lover

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2010

Judged:

They got their way out, they burnt it down. Bye bye
Ernie Creamer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

Judged:

My wife Katie and I are crushed, we met up there and were married a year later. I am sure there are simular stories to be heard. Every summer since we were married, we made it a habit of returning to celebrate, that night 29 years ago, that changed our lives.
Ernie Creamer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

I see under my name, Huntsville,AL! Not to confuse many people, No, we have not moved. We have lived in Berry Creek for 33 years and remain there to this day. We have been traveling in our RV the past year but still own a home in BC !
Cassandra

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

Anyone having been to Buck's Lake, knows how devastating this is. My husband and I have been going to Buck's for 30+ yrs. We owned recreational property there at one time. We sold it when we moved to Oregon, thinking we would be too far for it to be practical. But, we COULD NOT STAY AWAY. The call of Buck's was too compelling. Even if rebuilt, the ambiance will never be the same.
Cassandra

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

Don't know where the got Avon, NY from. I live in Oregon!!
oroville

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2010

FYI - the location that shows under your name has to do with your Internet service provider, rather than your physical location.

I'm sorry the lodge burned down. It's really, really sad.....
Bill W

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2010

Judged:

In a structure of that venerable age I would suspect it wasn't arson, but some heat source like an overloaded electric circuit or extension cord that got hot enough to start part of the wooden structure to ignite. Happens too often. Doesn't take much, and once that old wood ignites, within 10 minutes its too far gone to do much about.
the roysters fremont ca

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Judged:

My kids and grandkids only told me yesterday about
Bucks Lake Lodge burning down. My husband and I and kids had gone there for over 30 years, faithfully, each July except for 2009. I will really miss our annual visit. And to think we
seriously considered buying the place when Ken and
Dixie sold it. I'm really sad it's gone.
Rebecca

Joplin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

Judged:

lodge fire was caused by the fireplace, accidental fire.
Hybernation

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

Rebecca wrote:
lodge fire was caused by the fireplace, accidental fire.
Rebecca, thanks for the tip. We'll wake you back up next August too...
John_Keller

Puyallup, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

The owner, John Stack, was my uncle. He was one hilarious guy.
John_Keller

Puyallup, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

I meant to write, a previous owner...
Rebecca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

Lodge is being rebuilt. It was a hard getting through all the red tape.

We are trying hard to recapture the old lodge, but know that it won't ever be the same.

Thank you for all your support, it was a difficult time for me and my family. Our cabin was next to the lodge and burnt down as well. So you see we lost not just the lodge but our home, clothes, pictures, and everything we owned. We were lucky to get out with our lives, and our beloved pets.

Life has been hard, but we believe GOD has a plan.
So, bless you all and we hope to see you soon.
Rebecca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

Hybernation wrote:
<quoted text>
Rebecca, thanks for the tip. We'll wake you back up next August too...
Sorry, I was in Mo. My Dad was dying
Richard Hull

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2012

Bucks lake is awesome. My father in law and his brothers have been going there for almost 50 years. When my wife heard it burned down she was heart broken and felt like she lost a family member. I have only been a few times but can imagine how she felt.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Snowmobile Discussions

Search the Snowmobile Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Westford man's invention converts snowmobile in... (Sep '08) Oct '12 SnowCat 24
Teenage boy trapped on floating piece of ice wi... (Nov '09) Apr '12 Show Me 35
Try winter camping in Michigan (Jan '11) Jan '11 Sneaky Pete 2
2010 World Championship Snowmobile Hill Climb -... (Mar '10) Dec '10 Tyson Ours 2
Police continue search as those rescued take sh... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Reeces Corners 1
Woman hit by snowmobile in Readsboro dies (Jan '10) Sep '10 Morgan 50
Two Missing Southern Tier Teens Found Dead (Mar '08) Jul '10 brooke 23
•••
•••
•••