TOO FAR: Americans have lost their se...

TOO FAR: Americans have lost their sense of humor

There are 24 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 21, 2010, titled TOO FAR: Americans have lost their sense of humor. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Uh, oh, shut it down. Shut it down, man. They're swearing! In what has become one of the most inane controversies, Shaun White and his coach, Bud Keene, have somehow been cast as some sort of trash-mouthed jocks after the two were overheard cursing prior to White's last run in Olympic snowboarding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Not fallen”

Since: May 08

WalMartBoro, PA

#1 Feb 21, 2010
Yeah, this reminds me of the day I used the machine in the post office to buy a single stamp. When the question came up, "Do you want a receipt for this", I thought that it's no wonder everyone's on Xanax. Make sure every 'T' is crossed and 'I' dotted.

And don't forget to explain.

Sounds like a society of politically correct, neurotic, spineless jellyfish.
No thanks, forever.
observer

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Feb 21, 2010
So your saying White's name was thrown in to get more of a sensational story. Say it ain't so, no the media. Your own paper does it in every story. Puff sells. Fix yours before blaming others.
Juicy Couture

Gettysburg, PA

#3 Feb 21, 2010
Graham, I **** agree with you, man.
Frozin BS

Greencastle, PA

#4 Feb 21, 2010
We sent White to win gold. I don't care if he screams fbombs all the way down the halfpipe. I don't care if his jersey says Fbomb across the front. That dude can rub snow. It looks like he's fifty feet off the ground on the first hit. I'd be screaming Fbombs too. But he didn't, at all. And he won the gold. That dudes a class act. Sorry his coach had to muddy it up.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#5 Feb 21, 2010
Once again Mr Missner misses the point. It really wasn't a private conversation when it was being broadcast into millions of homes. A private conversation is when I walk up to you and your wife at your favorite watering hole and engage in a conversation and drop the "F" bomb in every third word. Is it offensive then?

If I'm watching the Olympics, which should be able to be viewed by the entire family, I don't need my children exposed to some Neanderthal who can't give a motivational pep talk without using vulgarities. Answer this one Mr Missner, if your six year old daughter asks you what that word means, do you tell her the truth or do you tell her it's a bad word and only grown-ups can use it. If it's not such a bad word, then let's put it in grade school spelling bees. Imagine the outrage from parents when their 7 year old comes home from school and says "Hey Mommy, we learned a new word in school today. It's "***k" and tomorrow they're going to teach us how many different ways it can be used in a sentence".

Your column has gone too ******* far for too ******* long.
eff this

Gettysburg, PA

#6 Feb 21, 2010
disagree wrote:
Once again Mr Missner misses the point. It really wasn't a private conversation when it was being broadcast into millions of homes. A private conversation is when I walk up to you and your wife at your favorite watering hole and engage in a conversation and drop the " **** " bomb in every third word. Is it offensive then?
If I'm watching the Olympics, which should be able to be viewed by the entire family, I don't need my children exposed to some Neanderthal who can't give a motivational pep talk without using vulgarities. Answer this one Mr Missner, if your six year old daughter asks you what that word means, do you tell her the truth or do you tell her it's a bad word and only grown-ups can use it. If it's not such a bad word, then let's put it in grade school spelling bees. Imagine the outrage from parents when their 7 year old comes home from school and says "Hey Mommy, we learned a new word in school today. It's "***k" and tomorrow they're going to teach us how many different ways it can be used in a sentence".
I bet you home school and only let your kid go to your tiny little church and then immediately back home.
I don't believe you even have TV.
Children are going to be exposed to worse things other then a few curse words and I can only hope you prepare them for the real world or they are going to have serious issues and they wil only have YOU to thank.
HUNTER

Harrisonville, PA

#7 Feb 21, 2010
And guess who blew everything out of proportion ??

The media was the culprit.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#8 Feb 21, 2010
eff this wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you home school and only let your kid go to your tiny little church and then immediately back home.
I don't believe you even have TV.
Children are going to be exposed to worse things other then a few curse words and I can only hope you prepare them for the real world or they are going to have serious issues and they wil only have YOU to thank.
And I bet you talk like a Neanderthal in front of your kids, that is if you know how to procreate..
eff this

Gettysburg, PA

#10 Feb 21, 2010
disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
And I bet you talk like a Neanderthal in front of your kids, that is if you know how to procreate..
No, I do not use inappropriate language in front of my children but I talk to them often about what is appropriate behavior and what is unacceptable and I am honest and forth right with them. If you are having a fit over a few curse words being said in front of your children, and are debating whether you should be honest about that curse word, how are you going to talk to them about drugs, sex and peer pressure?
I doubt you have children. You sound like an old man who is out of touch with raising kids and out of touch with reality.
Steve

United States

#11 Feb 21, 2010
It's hard to tell what Messner's worse at, writing his jock-apologist columns or coaching soccer. He's pretty bad at both. Remember he defends Penn State football players when they assault people, so it's no surprise he would stick up for the flying tomato's coach.
Libby

Mercersburg, PA

#12 Feb 21, 2010
disagree wrote:
Once again Mr Missner misses the point. It really wasn't a private conversation when it was being broadcast into millions of homes. A private conversation is when I walk up to you and your wife at your favorite watering hole and engage in a conversation and drop the " **** " bomb in every third word. Is it offensive then?
tell your children what it means and that it's a grown up word and that it's nasty to use. end of story. are you going to plug your children's ears for the rest of their lives? sounds exhausting. You are the example of the type of person this letter was written about.
Libby

Mercersburg, PA

#13 Feb 21, 2010
what the heck do they put in the water in moscow pa?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 Feb 21, 2010
HUNTER wrote:
B-I-N-G-O!!!
mmhmm

Gettysburg, PA

#15 Feb 21, 2010
HUNTER wrote:
Sure was.
Quagmire

Shippensburg, PA

#17 Feb 21, 2010
Uh oh that might not be up too long. LOL
Quagmire

Shippensburg, PA

#18 Feb 21, 2010
Now how in hell did that getpast the censor bot?
lmao
INTOLERANT- YES I AM

Shermans Dale, PA

#21 Feb 21, 2010
"disagree" ...I am with you!!! the language is SICK! No I don't home school and I have 2 teenagers and one is in public school and hears this kind of talk all the time. But you know what...it REALLY shows LOW intelligence when people can't have a conversation with out throwing these kind of words into a conversation, It is SO not necessary! Our whole society has become accustomed to saying and thinking this is normal. NO IT ISN'T and I guess I don't HAVE to tolerate it and have the freedon to be offended by it and letting you know that I am offended! SO THERE!
lol

Prince George, Canada

#23 Feb 21, 2010
uhh it's snowboarding. they all talk like shawn white seriously who cares
Oh My

Chambersburg, PA

#24 Feb 21, 2010
Ever ridden a school bus? My children learned more @#$%^&* language on the school bus than they ever did from TV. Get a grip...and blame !@#$%^& NBC!

Great article Graham! You're the #$%^!
Snostar1997

Waynesboro, PA

#27 Feb 22, 2010
I must be dumb or out of touch, but can someone tell me, what's a double mick?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaun White Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Retrieving Yen (Dec '08) Jun 8 Help 11
Shaun White - Is He Gay ? (Jan '10) Feb '14 Kemp 98
shaun whites email (Dec '06) Feb '14 Myranda 107
News Shaun White to be sidelined with knee surgery (Jul '12) Mar '13 nathan bedford 3
shaun white (Jul '12) Jul '12 lanora steinbacher 1
News Extreme Sports Videos (Oct '09) Mar '12 Joe Krupinski 21
News How Olympic athletes pay the rent (Mar '10) Feb '12 Joe Krupinski 3
More from around the web