Los Angeles Crime

Crime, law and justice, and police blotter near Los Angeles, CA or anywhere in the US.

Recent Crime News

Los Angeles Law

Will DUI affect my citizenship?
I have lived in US for 22 years. I want to apply for the US citizenship. However, 15 years ago, I caused traffic accident and there was no injury; besides, there was a small amount of drug found in my car. I joined the program for the first offender. In my case, will DUI affect my citizenship application?
Assuming you were only convicted of a DUI and no other charges relating to drugs, a DUI from 15yrs ago should not...
Will I get an extension for my DUI requirements?
I was sentenced in March of 2016 at the LA Metro Court of a first time misdemeanor DUI with aggravating factors and converted fines to community service (can't do labor due to disability). I was given one year to complete my requirements. I still have to complete: 200 hours (out of 400 hours) of community service, 3 months of my 9 month alcohol program, MADD & HAMM classes. I had difficulty with paying for my alcohol program / moving / divorcing, I started all my requirements late due to moving last summer. The lawyer saw in November my progress, and was okay with everything, I'm at the same progress as then because of finally getting a job. The MADD & HAMM classes are not offered where I live (Santa Maria, CA) and it's difficult for me to get to Los Angeles where I was convicted. Will the judge give me an extension? How long can I ask for? Should I contact the court BEFORE my court date?
YES, the judge will probably give you an extension but you should ask for it ahead of time. Be proactive. You already...
Can i apply for my DACA renewal if i got arrested for a DUI?
two years ago i was arrested and charged with a DUI, i got a lawyer and the charges of DUI were droop to a wet reckless i was giving 3 years of provation my class is completed and currently making payments for the citation. Would i be able to reapply for my DACA work permit and get approved?
I hate to say this but a wet reckless still equals a DUI for immigration purposes. Under Trump's executive you are now...
If I got DUI in California, can the DUI school be shortened?
I was living in California in 2013 when I got the DUI and received a 9 month school for first time DUI offense under .20 Bac. I am from Florida, and really had no where else to turn at the time and returned home. In the last three years, I completed my fine payment before it was due, served 48 hrs in jail, did mail in probation for 18 months (which was lowered from 3 years because I finished everything else), and did a 60 hour online course, and had an sr22. I can not get a California license without taking the school, and I knew this condition before accepting it. It is now looking like my work will be taking me back to California. Can I make some kind of appeal to have the school time shortened so I can work there? I'm not trying to waive the school, but 9 months is more than is usually given for a first offense with no accident or property damage involved. If I move back can it be reduced to 3 months?
This was listed under education law when it primarily concerns criminal defense. I'm moving it to that area.
How long does the state have to file charges in a DUI?
I was arrested on 2/14/2010 for DUI #23153(A). To date I have not been charged. I just received a background check alerting me that "As of 12/5/2016 action still pending with a court case number"
If there is a court case number it would seem that the prosecution did file charges. Look for a local attorney that can...
Can I get my license back 10 years after a DUI without going to classes?
It's been ten years since my DUI. I did go to classes but was considered incomplete because I couldn't pay. I would like to get my license back but what will I have to do?
You'll need to complete the classes. There's no way out.
Can I get my DUI conviction expunged?
I got a DUI in August 2013 and my 3-year probation started in January 2014. It ends next week. I understand that you can have the conviction expunged under Penal Code 1203.4 PC after you successfully complete your probation. This will be true next week for me. So would it make sense for me go through this process? Also, I got the DUI in Santa Clara County but I live in Los Angeles, so do I need to hire a lawyer that works in that county as well? I can't find the attorney who worked on my case in 2013. Her firm's no longer open. Any advice would be great appreciated.
As long as you completed all of the terms of your probation, you should be eligible. Yes, you should do it, but you...