Brookings Crime

Crime, law and justice, and police blotter near Brookings, SD or anywhere in the US.

Recent Crime News

Brookings Law

What's the difference between a wet reckless and a DUI? Should I try for this as a plea deal?
I'm not sure if SD allows wet reckless, but it's my 1st DUI and I am trying very hard to get into a medical program and I would literally do months in jail if it ment getting it reduced from the DUI charge.
South Dakota doesn’t have a wet reckless, although it does have reckless driving. Sometimes the prosecution will...
My first DUI?
I am visiting Brookings from out of state and got a DUI - no special circumstances, just too much to drink and made the mistake of driving. What can I expect for a sentence?
DUI 1st is a Class 1 misdemeanor with a MAXIMUM possible penalty of one year in the county jail and/or a $2000 fine....
What punishment am I likely to face? What are my options?
I am a college student who is being accused of Possession of Marijuana, Ingestion of Substance, Underage Possession of Alcohol, Fake Drivers License, and Possession of Paraphernalia. A university police officer knocked on my dorm door, smelling marijuana. I let him in and gave him the marijuana. He asked if I had anything else and if he could search my room. We both agreed not to search the room, I gave him the marijuana, bottle of alcohol, lighter, and fake ID I had in my room. I was not under the influence of any drug at the time. I am now facing five misdemeanors, and I am very worried about what will happen to me and what kinds of punishment I am likely to face. For context, this is my first run in with the law, not even traffic tickets. The officer told me that he felt I was very honest and cooperative, and he would put that on the report. What can I expect? Is there a possibility it won't go on my record? Is it feasible for me to negotiate without a lawyer?
You ask a number of questions here. First, what are your options? You can get an attorney to help you (whether...
If I receive a Suspended Impos. in place of a DUI, does that sus. imp. show up on my record if searched by employer or insurance
First DUI Clean record. Blood Alc of .098 Cooperative with police
As long as it remains suspended, it does not show up for an employer search of criminal convictions. Have you...
I was involved with a DUI and don't know what to do cause i have a feeling i was drugged but don't know how to prove it.
I was drinking at this house party and i clearly remember everything till 10 :45 when i last checked my phone and then everything was blank to the point when the cop had his lights on in my rearview. I've blacked out when drinking before but not like this. i blew a 0.22 which is very high but i blew a .26 before from a minor and remembered everything very well. i have no memory of everything and i got pulled over at around 3 A.M. i had a full meal before i drank. It just seems impossible for me to do something like this. I have no idea what to do. any advice is greatly appreciated.
The best thing for you to do is contact a local DUI lawyer to discuss your case. A BAC of 0.22 is very high and in some...
Can I get my underage consumption dismissed?
I received an underage consumption charge a week before my 21st birthday. I walked to a friend's house and had a couple beers before I got there. I was there for about 10 minutes when the cops came following a noise complaint. I was the only one under 21 and admitted that I had been drinking before I came. I did a breathalyzer and blew a 0.081. I was not driving and had no car keys in my possession. I have court on my 21st birthday and it will be my second charge in this county for underage consumption. I'm wondering if there's any way that it could be dismissed because I was so close to 21 when it happened.
Hire a local lawyer. Smoking, or any other object including food, in your mouth, can corrupt the reading on a...
How do I go about getting a suspended imposition for first DUI offense?
I was convicted of a dui 12/08, it is 1/11 and I want to pursue graduate education and need to get a good job in critical care nursing/fill out applications. I don't want to have to worry about my criminal record DUI citation to prevent employers, graduate application comittees from denying me. How do I go about getting a suspended imposition to try to clear my record for my first DUI offense. The offense was in the State of SD, I was 19 and I am currently 21, and have no other convictions and have had no trouble with the law prior. I am an excellent student and really want to pursue things in my career without DUI hold me back. Thanks for any help/advice.
These types of sentences are usually negotitated before a guilty plea is entered, no two years later. You should...