Can people who love the Red River Gorge save it?

The Red River Gorge, a popular recreation area in danger of being "loved to death," will be getting some help to stay clean.

Quaere verum

Lawrenceburg, KY

#1 May 27, 2010
I am suprised to see that my comment will be the first on this issue.
What the hell??? My guess is that since there are no economical tourist destinations, besides the very few, this does not bring any money to the county.
The RR Gorge could easily be a small Pigeon Forge. Yet besides the scenery there is little to do there.
Being a person who loves nature I have seen the destruction left by many who frequent the gorge and it sickens me. I believe that many parts of the gorge should and maybe will be shut down if things continue on its current path.
No money brought to the county, destruction of nature ... what a shame!!!
Po Co Resident

Jackson, KY

#2 May 31, 2010
Quaere verum wrote:
I am suprised to see that my comment will be the first on this issue.
No money brought to the county, destruction of nature ... what a shame!!!
I have to agree with this post totally. Right now the gorge is veered at the fittest of them all. Hiking trails is pretty much what the gorge has to offer other than a drive through, which is a beauty to behold. Somehow we need to focus on other patrons to come to the gorge, take me for instance, I love nature and can name alot of the wildflowers but due to health reasons I can no longer get out and hike or even walk very far. We need things in the gorge that would appeal to the young and old, the healthy and disabled and all those in between.

Since: Apr 10

Clay City, KY

#3 May 31, 2010
Quaere verum wrote:
I am suprised to see that my comment will be the first on this issue.
No money brought to the county, destruction of nature ... what a shame!!!
Hi,
I hope that my comments here isn't taken off-subject. I understand just how you feel, and also a friend of mine, Stephen Marcum. You may be aware his mother Winnie runs the Stanton Florist. Many are not aware that Stephen has tried speaking with various people that are in the positions of actually doing something to bring a very positive change to this area, that not only would protect various areas, but also help fdraw tourist in that could help benefit this whole area. Strephen has also taken the time to take a few particular buildings, like the old movie theatre located just across from his mom's shop, and drew it once again showing what it could look like again where the citizens and tourist could come and see not only a new film, but also classic films and also enjoy live music just exactly like it was years ago. Sadly, the very people that have either been elected and/or promoted to higher positions jus laughed at him. That's not all. Stephen planned to do something on his own. His plan was to build an exact replica to "The Munsters" tv house that would also be a bed 'n breakfast (a definite touristattarction that would bring great things to this area; something that has already been proven positive and doing very well in other areas, other states. You probably are already aware of Stephen and his artistic abilities. Stephen planned to also share his artistic abilities by teaching any and all interested. Sadly enough, that plan has been shelved for the time being. Stephen has asked a lot of the public their opinion of his plans, and all have been really positive. Sadly, these plans have been temporaily shelved. Whay, you may ask? Several of these so-called caring elected individuals and etc., when asked, have made it verbally clear that Stephen's plans will be met with the highest resistence possible. Can you believe that? Someone tries to do something good for a change and is met with great disdain. Oh well, another lost positive attraction for all of Powell County. It seems to me that certain people just don't want to move forward with anything that could benefit everyone, just only what benefits them to help keep this area in the dark forever. What a shame.
Not so common sense

Lawrenceburg, KY

#4 May 31, 2010
concernedfemalecitizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
Considering that I just logged onto this website for the first time today and saw this posted only one minute ago, the logic speaking is enough ... and I know Stephen, yet did not know this. You bet I also know some people of political power.
I am getting ahead of myself ... only read until Stephen's name cam up .. let me disect and I will see if maybe we can get anything done!!! Hope for the best!!!
RRG lover

Prestonsburg, KY

#5 Jun 1, 2010
I have lived in powell county all my life and now that i am older and I have seen all of the factory leave hear we have so many empty lots in stanton that a lot of things can be done with but however the city and the people in office have stopped that they fought on all of the buildings coming in town no matter how hard us citizen want a better county but we will NEVER have that. And that is just sad all powell county has became is a bed and breakfast

Since: Apr 10

Clay City, KY

#6 Jun 1, 2010
Not so common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
I hope not to sound rude here, but you might not want to rush out so quickly to speak to anyone. What I mean is that Stephen has since, how to say this properly...uh, "divorced" himself from most of the public, atleast here in Powell County. Hedefinitely sees things entirely different than most of the people here do, atleast most of the people that smile, ask for your vote to make a positive change, and then after getting into office, they don't do a single thing but keep things exactly the way they were. Thinking like that does not allow us to grow and prosper like other areas. I am rather surprized that you haven't heard of Stephen's plans to build that the Munsters replica house, that would also house a collection that he has spent most of his life acquiring. He has propsand etc. from various classic movies and tv shows that are really amazing. Unfortunately, noone here is ever going to be able to see them now. Oh yes, do you remember the paper that was once here called THE POWELL COUNTY HERALD just a few years ago? They did a huge story on Stephen and his plans in the Feb.4,2008 issue. Apparently nobody bothered to read it. Like I addressed earlier, Stephen has created several fantastic drawings that are more like living drafts or plans where he took existing vintage buildings (something that is rare in this area), and recreated them with a "restored appearance" that would help rebuild this areas reputation. He did this on his own and never asked for anything in return. What did he get? At first, certain people acted as though they were in awe, but they laughed at him as he walked out. That's why this area will never prosper any further for future generations and it will continue to be one of Kentucky's worst for many years to come. I hate having to say that, but it's the truth. More to say, but not enough space or time.
Not so common sense

United States

#7 Jun 2, 2010
Talked to a few "in power" and they stated that this is one reason on why the sewage/water systems need overhauling. There is just too much strain on the system and not only has it affected this but also any factory which could have moved into Powell County. It was also a big reason on why CMS moved out.

I have never caught any of these two trying to fool me before and I hope that this will not be the first yet, as far as I am concerned these pipes need adjusted and we as a community need to back our RR Gorge ... if not us who will???

On the other hand I have seen many times while in the Gorge, groups cleaning the river of tires and other trash ... and you bet your donk I delayed my trip to wade down the Red and help them myself. Besides this on one occasion their were hot chicks all around me!!! They got me all wet!!!

Since: Apr 10

Clay City, KY

#8 Jun 2, 2010
Not so common sense wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm...some old excuse. Seems like they really enjoy reciting that old broken record again and again and again and again and so on. If that's really the case, then why do they still allow certain parties to continue building rental houses and etc.? Why do they still allow the building of new fast food joints and etc.? All of these said places have to have water and sewage hook-ups. I don't buy that old broken record excuse that they seem to always use when questioned. Isn't it odd that everytime we flush the toilet or turn on a faucet that we never seem to see of feel that "mysterious strain" that certain officials keep talking about. There's a little thing, no, it'smuch bigger than all of us, and much stronger, called THE LAW OF PHYSICS.(laughing) It's quiet apparent to me that these dumb hillbilly officials just don't understand it quiet enough. When questioned about it, like a moth to flame, they jump on the old broken record excuse every single time. That doesn't work anymore on me.

Since: Apr 10

Clay City, KY

#9 Jun 2, 2010
Not so common sense wrote:
Oops on my part. You say that you were told by certain "IN POWER" parties that CMS moved out all due to a big part on the water/sewage situation? Don't make me laugh. Just ask people that worked there for years. The reason that CMS closed up was that they down-sized and moved their facilities to MEXICO where they could hire chaeper labor. That didn't have anything to do with the water/sewage situation here. In fact, the very building that originaly housed the CMS factory is now the home of the Antique Mall. That very water/sewage hook-up is exactly the same as it was when CMS was there operating. Nothing with that has changed. So, you might want to tell those "IN POWER" idiots that their new excuse just doesn't hold water or raw sewage, whatever floats their boat. Sadly enough, with the EQUESTRIAN GAMES coming, this area is going to loose an awful lot of tourism dollars because a lot of "IN POWER" folks have held us back once again and now it's far to late to do anything about it now. What a real shame.
Not so common sense

United States

#10 Jun 2, 2010
Hate will get you nowhere ... and I now see that you will not let anything in when you have more than likely been the one who was done wrong. I by logic not by gut am thinking that even this female citizen is none other than Stephen Marcum himself.
If it is not ... sorry. If so then you have to let past things go and get others who are also wanting the Gorge to be saved before making decesions and such even into your own future.

Stephen you or not you is a very talented person. I, have nothing but family who do me no wrong, yet are into politics.

I will when I see fit take the time to get past the first sentences of both of your comments concerned female citizen. I may be wrong on some equations yet knowing the "bosses" from CMS when it was here, this was the reason they gave. This is also the reasons given by family members who were not even in office when this happened.

Past political policies affect current positions. Let me, when I have time to take time to read the rest of your postings ... even with the hatred and !!!'s I saw I may see something in there that is worth noting.

Until then .. chill buh'.

Since: Apr 10

Clay City, KY

#11 Jun 2, 2010
Not so common sense wrote:
Until then .. chill buh'.
Let me say this I am not Stephen Marcum. He is a friend of mine, but I am not him. I just happen to be a mother of two. As with the former bosses of CMS you speak of, and what they have to say, my suggestion is to go talk to former employees that lost their jobs. They tell a whole different story. Hatred, you say? They haven't done anything to me. Regarding Stephen and his thoughts, he couldn't care less anymore for this area or its people. His way of seeing things rings so true; you can't help those that won't try helping themselves. And speaking of his talents, no one here appreciates what he has tried to share. That's why he shares his talents with the world outside this area. Soon, this little area of Powell County will loose a great talent. Something they don't bother to appreciate. By the way, Stephen has just released his magazine "Spook City Arts." More to come, but this area won't be helped by it. Oh, pardon me, isn't it the people of Powell County that only appreciate (1) pills and medications,(2) jesus and god; things that do not exist,(3) wellfare and free handouts, and (4) who's screwing who; their wife, sister, brother, mom, dad, the babysitter and even their own or someone else's children? I've seen a lot of areas throughout Kentucky, but I have never seen a more sorrier group of individuals gathered together in the same area at the same time in my life. Save the Red River Gorge, it's people, and Powell County in general? It's quiet apparent to me that these people can't save or help themselves besides trying to save their home town/county. Their too lazy to do that. And I assure you this, the "handouts" from Frankfort are going to dry up real quick. I wonder what the people will do when that happens, and it's going to happen sooner than you think.
haha

Georgetown, KY

#12 Jun 3, 2010
Wow Steve Marcum has a friend, the world will never cease to amaze me.
A Fix

Barnesville, OH

#13 Jun 3, 2010
This man has a plan for all of us. Are you ready?

Iranian President Mahmoud's Ahmadinejad's mystical pre-occupation with the coming of a Shiite Islamic messiah figure – the Mahdi – is raising concerns that a nuclear-armed Islamic Republic could trigger the kind of global conflagration he envisions will set the stage for the end of the world.
While Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been making headlines lately by questioning whether the Holocaust actually happened, by suggesting Israel should be moved to Europe and by demanding the Jewish state be wiped off the face of the earth, his apocalyptic religious zealotry has received less attention.
In a videotaped meeting with Ayatollah Javadi-Amoli in Tehran, Ahmadinejad discussed candidly a strange, paranormal experience he had while addressing the United Nations in New York last September.
He recounts how he found himself bathed in light throughout the speech. But this wasn't the light directed at the podium by the U.N. and television cameras. It was, he said, a light from heaven.
Ahmadinejad at the U.N.
According to a transcript of his comments, obtained and translated by Joseph Farah's G2 Bulletin, Ahmadinejad wasn't the only one who noticed the unearthly light. One of his aides brought it to his attention.
The Iranian president recalled being told about it by one of his delegation: "When you began with the words ‘in the name of Allah,' I saw a light coming, surrounding you and protecting you to the end."
Ahmadinejad agreed that he sensed the same thing.
"On the last day when I was speaking, one of our group told me that when I started to say 'Bismillah Muhammad,' he saw a green light come from around me, and I was placed inside this aura," he says. "I felt it myself. I felt that the atmosphere suddenly changed, and for those 27 or 28 minutes, all the leaders of the world did not blink. When I say they didn't move an eyelid, I'm not exaggerating. They were looking as if a hand was holding them there, and had just opened their eyes – Alhamdulillah!"
Ahmadinejad's "vision" at the U.N. is strangely reminiscent and alarmingly similar to statements he has made about his personal role in ushering in the return of the Shiite Muslim messiah.
He sees his main mission, as he recounted in a Nov. 16 speech in Tehran, as to "pave the path for the glorious reappearance of Imam Mahdi, may Allah hasten his reappearance."
According to Shiites, the 12th imam disappeared as a child in the year 941. When he returns, they believe, he will reign on earth for seven years, before bringing about a final judgment and the end of the world.
Ahmadinejad is urging Iranians to prepare for the coming of the Mahdi by turning the country into a mighty and advanced Islamic society and by avoiding the corruption and excesses of the West.
All Iran is buzzing about the Mahdi, the 12th imam and the role Iran and Ahmadinejad are playing in his anticipated return. There's a new messiah hotline. There are news agencies especially devoted to the latest developments.
"People are anxious to know when and how will He rise; what they must do to receive this worldwide salvation," says Ali Lari, a cleric at the Bright Future Institute in Iran's religious center of Qom. "The timing is not clear, but the conditions are more specific," he adds. "There is a saying:'When the students are ready, the teacher will come.'"
For his part, Ahmadinejad is living up to at least part of his call to the faithful. According to reports, he lives so modestly that declared assets include only a 30-year-old car, an even older house and an empty bank account.
Ahmadinejad and others in Iran are deadly serious about the imminent return of the 12th imam, who will prompt a global battle between good and evil (with striking parallels to biblical accounts of "Armageddon").
An institute set up in 2004 for the study and dissemination of information about the Mahdi now has a staff of 160 and influence in the schools and children's magazines
A Fix

Barnesville, OH

#14 Jun 3, 2010
In Iran, theologians say endtimes beliefs appeal to one-fifth of the population. And the Jamkaran mosque east of Qom, 60 miles south of Tehran, is where the link between devotees and the Mahdi is closest.
Ahmadinejad's cabinet has given $17 million to Jamkaran.
Shiite writings describe events surrounding the return of the Mahdi in apocalyptic terms. In one scenario, the forces of evil would come from Syria and Iraq and clash with forces of good from Iran. The battle would commence at Kufa – the Iraqi town near the holy city of Najaf.
Even more controversial is Ahmadinejad's repeated invocation of Imam Mahdi, known as "the Savior of Times." According to Shiite tradition, Imam Mahdi will appear on Judgment Day to herald a truly just government.
Missed by some observers in Ahmadinejad's speech at the U.N. was his call to the "mighty Lord" to hasten the emergence of "the promised one," the one who "will fill this world with justice and peace."
Who stands in the Mahdi's way?
A top priority of Ahmadinejad is "to challenge America, which is trying to impose itself as the final salvation of the human being, and insert its unjust state [in the region]," says Hamidreza Taraghi, head of the conservative Islamic Coalition Society.
Taraghi says the U.S. is "trying to place itself as the new Mahdi." This may mean no peace with Iran, he adds, "unless America changes its hegemonic ... thinking, doesn't use nuclear weapons,[or] impose its will on other nations."
mntn man

United States

#15 Jun 3, 2010
Is Iran going to nuke the RRG ??
I thought this topic was how to save the Gorge from the tourist,hikers and rock jocks !!! To let it be for ever free from litter,iffo's,car tires,refrigerators etc.....

Now lets get back to Iran and we can only hope that Isarel will take care of that problem .
mntn man

United States

#16 Jun 3, 2010
Oh I forgot to add how is the house the Munsters built going to save the Gorge ???
Not so common sense

United States

#17 Jun 3, 2010
haha wrote:
Wow Steve Marcum has a friend, the world will never cease to amaze me.
Everyone has their glitches and Steve or Stephen as I once heard him get rattled as being the name he prefers is a good person. He does have some amazing glitches but is a good "clean" person. Reading the former posts made from his "friend" I cannot recall a point made that was not made out of hate for "ALL" politicians.

Not all polytechnicians are bad .. only 4 out of every 5. There is good in the political world!!! If you look hard enough!!!
Not so common sense

United States

#18 Jun 3, 2010
mntn man wrote:
I believe that he was referring to a place of buisness near the gorge that tourists could come and see ... such as they do in Pigeon Forge nestled at the bottom of the Smokies.

Yet I also do agree with one statement of yours mntn man ... the gorge even to me is very important yet if we do not take care of our "worldly" problems then who will be able to use the gorge???

OOOHHHH YEA ... the people who have to resort to living in rock shelters in the gorge to get away from the terrorists and such who are and have been planning to wipe this nation off the map of the earth!!!
Start saving those match books folks!!! I can live off of the things mother nature has for us ... can ya'll???
mntn man

United States

#19 Jun 3, 2010
Quaere verum wrote:
I am suprised to see that my comment will be the first on this issue.
No money brought to the county, destruction of nature ... what a shame!!!
What about the eastern end of the county ? I know for a fact there is a lot of tourism $$ being spent there , just go to Natural Bridge ,Miguels,Shellmart, Daniel Boone, Lil Abners or any business in that area and see for yourself . Plus lets figure all of the rental cabins in that area and hope they are charging a room tax like the resturant tax all of the locals have to pay to.

Since: Apr 10

Clay City, KY

#20 Jun 3, 2010
Not so common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing that you decided to jump on the band wagon that could easily now be called "tear Stephen Marcum down a little more the best you can," atleast that's what this topic has turned into over the last 24 hours, I would like to ask you personally a few questions:
(1) Just what do you mean when you say that Stephen has some amazing glitches?
(2) Just what are you insinuating when you specifically call him a good "clean" person?

Tell me when this thread is updated: