Jan 28, 2013
Green Bay Press-Gazette
Dateline: Wausau, 1930
<![CDATA[Many local families were relieved when the John S. Owen Lumber Co. in Owen in Clark County resumed operating its saw mill the previous week, reported the Wausau Daily Record-Herald on Jan. 28, 1930. The mill had operated for nearly 50 years until it had shut down the previous September because of a shortage of logs. Rumors had suggested the closing would be permanent. "But the old mill is running again and the entire city of Owen is rejoicing over the news which will bring employment and a full dinner pail to hundreds of families in the vicinity," the newspaper reported. When it resumed operations, the Owen company had contracted for enough logs to keep the mill running at least eight months, when presumably the next winter's logs would begin arriving to keep the mill running indefinitely. Owen Lumber purchased logs from jobbers and private individuals throughout Wisconsin and from local farmers. In January 1930, about 10 rail cars of logs were arriving each day from jobbers at Jump River and Exeland. John S. Owen founded the community that bears his name after his lumber company purchased 30,000 acres of land in 1882, according to information online at www.cityofowen.com. The mill is long gone, but Mill Pond, historic Main Street and Woodland Hotel on Central Avenue recall the area's history. Old Owen School on Central Avenue is listed on both state and national Historic registers. Owen is about 45 miles west of Wausau along Highway 29. Dateline Wausau recaps a story of local interest from this week in history.
WEAU-TV Eau Claire
Funding to improve electric service awarded to area electric cooperative
USDA Rural Development will provide funding to modernize and improve the efficiency of rural electric generation and transmission systems at eight rural electric projects throughout the nation, including Ladysmith's own Jump River Electric Cooperative, Inc.